Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1997 E320
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a hard time finding my intake manifold to cylinder head screws part number: 23-002-990-11-22. Besides the stealership does anyone know where to buy these hard to find unicorns? I see many intake to cylinder head screws/bolts but none look the same as my originals, was these screws revised/replaced?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
E250 Bluetec Sprinter250 Bluetec
37,026 Posts
Metric Allen head bolts are pretty popular in USA and you should find them at Home Depot or Lowe's.
I tried, but they carry limited quantity where with common theft makes the computer reading several, when the drawer is empty. Use internet purchase with pickup at store and let them find them for you.
In CA I had ACE Hardware Industrial who would carry good selection and they did check inventory.
For M10 x 80 bolts I paid $10 so not cheap, regardless not having MB logo on them.
Measure the size? I have lot of bolts left over from engine replacement, so maybe I find those in my collection.
2007 engine had all E (torx) heads, but that is good thing.

·
Registered
1998 E320 wagon
1,142 Posts
If it’s not a single use/torque to yield bolt, get all you need from the pick-n-pull.

Sixto
98 E320 wagon 197K miles

·
Registered
1997 E320
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it’s not a single use/torque to yield bolt, get all you need from the pick-n-pull.

Sixto
98 E320 wagon 197K miles
That would be a good idea if they weren't such a PITA to get out, it's about 90 degrees here in Virginia so the yard is probably going to be about 120 degrees! Lol, I'll check out those links above and the Home Depot really sucks around here so I wouldn't even consider them, maybe tractor supply though.

·
Registered
37,026 Posts
You got it cool bro. It is 9:30 AM in my place and I already have 102F. Yesterday at noon we had 113F and it is cooling trend.
Car left on parking lot records 135F in no time.
But 1 more time- internet shopping at HD with pickup at store is very convenient. With small parts, my local HD has outside box, where you can scan bar code memorized on your android and the door holding your part "magically open"

·
Registered
1997 E320
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Metric Allen head bolts are pretty popular in USA and you should find them at Home Depot or Lowe's.
I tried, but they carry limited quantity where with common theft makes the computer reading several, when the drawer is empty. Use internet purchase with pickup at store and let them find them for you.
In CA I had ACE Hardware Industrial who would carry good selection and they did check inventory.
For M10 x 80 bolts I paid $10 so not cheap, regardless not having MB logo on them.
Measure the size? I have lot of bolts left over from engine replacement, so maybe I find those in my collection.
2007 engine had all E (torx) heads, but that is good thing.
M6x 50mm?

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
3,841 Posts
The "stealership" is the obvious place but you have your mind set against that...

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
4,343 Posts
My advice, change those allen bolts to hex.

These are very easy to strip, and infact I stripped a whole bunch of them when I did the head gasket on my M104.

Went to the local hardware store and got a bunch of identical bolts, same thread pitch and size, just 12mm hex head, and used that.

No more issues.

·
Registered
1997 E320
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My advice, change those allen bolts to hex.

These are very easy to strip, and infact I stripped a whole bunch of them when I did the head gasket on my M104.

Went to the local hardware store and got a bunch of identical bolts, same thread pitch and size, just 12mm hex head, and used that.

No more issues.
Yeah been through that nightmare before with one of them. Broke the bit off, couldn't extract tip from screw head. ended up banging a 12mm socket around it with small breaker bar.

·
Registered
37,026 Posts
The black metric Allen head bolts you can buy on US market are high-grade bolts, when I think MB uses mid-grade bolts for the application.
Meaning going to your local ACE instead of MB dealer can lead to improvement.
But you have to make sure you have quality tool for the job.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There are shops that make nothing but screws and bolts of all types. If you want MB parts try peach parts or diesel giant. If you do change over to a hex head be sure there is clearance for the head to rotate sometimes the round inverted hex head is for reasons like that. If you have the correct dimensions and pitch you can have them made to order including strength grading you want. Same goes for O-rings of all sorts, There are companies that just make gaskets and O-rings. Can be very valuable to Mercedes and exotic car owners.

·
Premium Member
'97 CL600
2,981 Posts
Have you tried the Classic Center in Irvine, CA? They are a MB restorer for older MB's. Thomas Hansen is the parts manager. <[email protected]>
And "don't cry for me Argentina". It was 121F here Sunday but cooled down to 119F yesterday. And my 12 cylinder 120 with full AC and idling never got hotter than 87C. I think once, the aux fans kicked in. It is a '97 with everything original, except the t-stat. A wonderful BEAST!! 😈

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
3,841 Posts
I believe the 90s are when Daimer first started testing their cars at Death Valley. And one of the torture tests is to gl up an incline - I forget the degrees - barely above idle for X minutes in extreme heat. Really test that cooling system!

·
Registered
37,026 Posts
I believe the 90s are when Daimer first started testing their cars at Death Valley. And one of the torture tests is to gl up an incline - I forget the degrees - barely above idle for X minutes in extreme heat. Really test that cooling system!
Did it last summer with my dually and 6000 lb camper.
124F in the valley and from negative 282 ft at Bad Water about 40 miles drive brings you to 3500' Salsbery pass on highway 175.
440 HP truck kept steady 55 mph and no overheating, regardless my generator partly covering the radiator.
AC as you can see kept steady 71F inside.
DON'T TRY IT WITH GASOLINE ENGINE
20190805_125209.jpg

·
Registered
1997 E320
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Kajtek That's pretty damn cool! I think I'm going to just bend the knee and go to the stealership, one time won't hurt. Thanks everyone for the links and whatnot. Proved useful on other projects.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts