Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know I might be stoned for asking this, so let me appologise upfront.

This question does not relate to Merc exclusively, it is just a general question that I suppose can pertain to any model.

Yesterday, I was replacing the starter in my other half's Toyota Corolla. I noticed that the + cable and the actuator wire pass between the exhaust manifold and the block. When I disconnected the + cable, the insulation was so brittle, that it snapped off the cable. I have replaced the cable, but the only one I could find, was not long enough to reroute.

Now, my question is thus: Is it acceptable to route cables like this? Or should I find a longer cable and reroute them to not run in that same location?

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
I think you already know the answer. Isn't it just a bit suspicious that a wire will run that close to the two hottest parts of the engine?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I thought.

I'm finding all kinds of things that the previous owner did wrong on this car... And neglected maintenance, etc...

Anyways, I'm gonna be replacing and rerouting both the power cables for the starter.

BTW, why would summ1 want to put an aftermarket relay inline with the starter solonoid?

·
Registered
226 Posts
BTW, why would summ1 want to put an aftermarket relay inline with the starter solonoid?
Two reasons I can think of:

First might be a cheap-o version of an ignition kill switch for a security system of some sort.

Second might be if they were doing a lot of engine work for whatever reason (tuning?), they might have wired in a "bump switch" that lets them tap the starter motor briefly to turn the engine without actually engaging the entire ignition system.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the car has got an alarm, but the relays for that is in the control unit.

Does it make any difference if I can hear the relay switch on when the starter is energized?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts