Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the Conti 4X4's on my '06 R350 and I am very disappointing with the wear on them. Tire Rack shows the General Altimax HP as very highly rated and I was also considering the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza or Michelin Latitude Tour HP as alternatives. Has anyone tried these? Also, what has the experience been with ordering / installing tires from Tire Rack?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2007 R350 (w251), '06 Volvo V70R, '86 Ferrari Mondial 3.2 Cab
2 Posts
I've used tire rack for 5 sets of tires for 3 different cars in the last 10 years, always very happy with their knowledge, service and prices. As for install you need to find a local shop you trust, last time I used one that was highly recommended on the Tire Rack list of recommended installers and was happy with them.

I put the 17" General Altimax HP's on the car about 15 months and 14,000 miles ago, Happy with feel, ride and much better noise levels than the stock Michelins. One consideration is that when we contemplated returning the car at the end of a lease, the local MB dealer told us that they will only accept Michelin's or Continental tires on a return vehicle, otherwise want to charge you for new tires; we had already decided to buy out the lease so not a problem for us.

I noticed this weekend some unusual wear (outside edge only) that seems to be alignment related so I need to deal with that before I need to replace a tire.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know what you mean about the lease but we own ours. After much consideration I ended up going with some Goodyear Assurance Touring tires. So far, so good. I hope I get more life out of them than I did with the Conti's.

·
Registered
06 R360, 06 F350 6.0, 04 CayenneS, 96 911TT 500HP, 86 928S, 74 911S, 73 914-4, 70 914-6, 02 Durrango
301 Posts
yes, the michelin is very good. I have them.

·
Registered
2006 Alpine Rain R500
203 Posts
Tire Rack is a good choice, their pricing and availability is really good. However, if you have a good local tire shop, they can usually get close to Tire Rack price plus its good to support the local economy. Conti and Michelin were the stock tires for the R, but there are other good choices out there. I don't think it is a requirement for a returned leased car to comeback with the original Conti or Michelin brand..for the CPO certification, the only requirement for tires is 50% or better for all tires regardless of brand. I have seen dealers install Kumho, Hankook, etc on their CPO vehicles.

·
Registered
06 R360, 06 F350 6.0, 04 CayenneS, 96 911TT 500HP, 86 928S, 74 911S, 73 914-4, 70 914-6, 02 Durrango
301 Posts
Tire Rack is a good choice, their pricing and availability is really good. However, if you have a good local tire shop, they can usually get close to Tire Rack price plus its good to support the local economy. Conti and Michelin were the stock tires for the R, but there are other good choices out there. I don't think it is a requirement for a returned leased car to comeback with the original Conti or Michelin brand..for the CPO certification, the only requirement for tires is 50% or better for all tires regardless of brand. I have seen dealers install Kumho, Hankook, etc on their CPO vehicles.
Tire racks tire prices are low because they are ONLY showing the price of the tire. That is it. Once you buy them + shipping + balance and install, a large amount of the time it is more than what the shops will charge you.

·
Registered
2008 R320 CDI
2 Posts
We have Bridgestone Ecopia tires, so far so good. Traction is great, next to no tire noise and lite snow performance seem good too. Tread wear is even so far with 15K on them in the past year.

·
Registered
08 R350
53 Posts
61k on my conti 4x4s and have 7/32 tread depth left on them. Mostly highway driving
They get rotated every 5k. Had them rebalanced and an alignment check at 50k. Still quiet and overall they seem to be good tires. 32 psi front and 35 psi rear.

·
Registered
2006 R500
196 Posts
We have the 4x4. They handle great, traction is very good. Wear sucks. Lots of tread but wear to the wear bars is poor. Unfortunately, they wont pass inspectoin when they get to the wear bar. I expect somewhere in the 40K range from these - I think that is the design life.

The original request at replacement was the LX20 but the dealer didn;t instlall them and my wife let them swap. i was not happy, but the damage was done.

I'd go with the LX20 if I was doing it again or the new Michelin Sport. The originals were michellin and they were great tires.

·
Registered
08 R350
53 Posts
Well i jinxed myself with my previous post on the Conti tires. Had a belt seperation --right rear tire ---on interstate today. CRAP! Lucky for me it didnt come apart

1 - 12 of 12 Posts