Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
My 560SEL is out there...somewhere
14 Posts
Ok, I found a different car. 1990 560 SEC showing 197K. No window delamination, no broken windsheild, no rust evident in all the spots I was told to check. Car runs well, some service records included. Yes, it needs TLC. I bought at $700 out of RI. Car drove home fine, transmission strong and shifts willingly, no high idle issue however the idle is lumpy. As soon as gas is applied, engine runs perfectly smooth and pulls hard. No smoke at initial startup or knocks. Valvetrain quiet. Removal of oil cap finds nice clean and wet cam no evidence of any oil starvation. Car drives quiet and very, VERY smooth at speed. Wife following in DD Ford Taurus reports nothing out the tailpipe. HVAC blower motor appearss non functional, there is a relay click moving temp control to full cold position.

I just got home with the car....more to follow.

Best,

Paul

Now I'm really going to need all your expertise and help!

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
PaulP,
Your blower issue may be as simple as the aux fuse on the false firewall inbound from the brake master cylinder. it is a one position strip fuse. They break or blow occasionally. Check that first.

Sounds like maybe a better car.
Good luck and of course we want pictures!!!

·
Registered
1989 560 SEL ... and way too many Lincolns
530 Posts
Which one in R.I? There were a couple I kept meaning to go check out but my recent wedding put it all on hold .... pics ASAP! Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Which one in R.I? There were a couple I kept meaning to go check out but my recent wedding put it all on hold .... pics ASAP! Good luck!
Brown car w/off-white leather interior. Too dark for pix now. Car needs TLC and elbow grease.

I jumpered the flat fuse on the firewall with an inline 10 Amp. Nice heat now. I do not hear evidence of the A/C compressor kicking in. Stickers under hood that say the car was converted to R134A freon. :)
HVAC controls and temp dial all work in auto mode.

Link to C/L ad:

1990 Mercedes Benz 560 Sec

Best,

Paul

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
Good looking car

Could be a steal at the price.

I think it the color is Smoke Silver with creme beige leather, identical to the 1990 coupe I had, pic's of which are contained in the storied "Stealth Reposession 1990 560SEC" thread of mine from a year and a half ago. That car of mine is now with a new owner in Tampa because to me it was redundant, having had my black one about 15 years already.
But I really liked " The Smoke ".

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/off-topic/1518603-stealth-reposession-1990-smoke-1990-sec.html

I am sure you will enjoy the car. In all the hub - bub on here it is easy to lose sight of the fact that they were, when new, sold to princes and plutocrats, entertainers and multi millionaires.

Rent the new movie "The Devil's Double" to see a Smoke Silver/Creme beige car example identical to yours, (and the one I had) driven by the body double of Uday Hussein's character, near the late part of the film, though it's a RHD drive euro car with the mandatory british fender blinkers from the UK..

Best of luck.

·
Registered
Look Below besides my DH Mountain and XC bikes
595 Posts
Any car imported into the US must have a third brake light added as of 1986.
Uh oh.. Should I put the third brake light back on the SE?? I ripped that mingin' thing off..

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
I wonder when in 1986 that was decreed by DOT for the third brake light? I ask as Rose was imported into the US sometime in 1986, after 3/86 (Mfg date) before Sept. 30/86 when she was registered. There was a third brake light in the trunk, but it was never installed. Probably purchased at time of Federalization, but not installed. Wonder if it knocked around all these years in the trunk? Absolutely no indication of attempted installation.

As an aside, I just found out that (and I never Checked BB), that the passenger side mirror's on Euro Cars do not have the "Caution objects may be closer than they appear." script on the lenses.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well.....there were some items that the seller cannot resolve with RI DMV, End run is seller is coming for the car today, and my hunt continues. There are no bad feelings between myself and the seller, or vice versa.

Lets just say that this one was not meant to be.

I'm going to find one yet.......and when I do, you all will be the first to know. I felt a great welcome here, and I can truly say that there is a wealth of good knowledge here just for the search. I wouldn't take on one of these cars otherwise.

Best,

Paul

·
Registered
1989 560 SEL ... and way too many Lincolns
530 Posts
Sorry to hear that Paul. I bet they guy picked up a much cleaner car than he left it!

Are you only looking for an SEC or an SEL too? I'm in upstate NY and will keep my eyes open .... is there a price range you are in? Alot of the Northeast 126's I have checked out or inquired about and am always poking around. Let me know what you are looking for and I'll try to lend a hand in your search!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry to hear that Paul. I bet they guy picked up a much cleaner car than he left it!

Are you only looking for an SEC or an SEL too? I'm in upstate NY and will keep my eyes open .... is there a price range you are in? Alot of the Northeast 126's I have checked out or inquired about and am always poking around. Let me know what you are looking for and I'll try to lend a hand in your search!
I've got my heart set on an SEC.

The seller actually did get:

2 qts oil and functioning blower motor. The flat fuse was blown. I put in a temporary in-line setup. It was about 7 degrees here yesterday, I'm sure he appreciated the heat on his way home. I didn't clean the car at all. I had lubed door hinges and such though.

This sale was a good learning curve for me. Although the car was rust-free and had potential, there was a lot to do. I've decided to shop in a higher price range. That said, having driven this 197K car it was still most impressive as it was.

As I said before....I have some health issue that enhance my appreciation for life, and though they are serious they have made it so that many things that used to piss me off matter not to me now. Sure, this car is gone now. I choose to take the good things I learned and apply them towards my ongoing search. Money is not plentiful for this buy, I need stay frugal, however I'm sure I can find the best car available within my target budget of $4K.

There's another seller with an '86. One owner. in the budget range. I'm planning to go see that car very soon.

Best,

Paul

·
Registered
1983-2007 MB's
8,011 Posts
Good thoughts, Paul. To appreciate the finer things in life, including driving one of the finest MB ever had to offer, at a bargain!

Newer cars don't give that kind of aesthetic satisfaction back regardless of their power or gadgetry.

There's just something that 'feels right' about old-school. ;)

21 - 31 of 31 Posts