Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
currently no MBs
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cloth interior makes me think it is a euro spec, but it is an 88.
what do the elder statesmen say about this specimen?
It is currently on cl and I have no affiliation with the seller:

'88 MERCEDES 560 SEC - $2500 (STATEN ISLAND)
560 SEC, AUTOMATIC,80.000 MILES,RUNS AND DRIVES GREAT, CLEAN TITLE, CRACK WINDSHIELD AND SMALL RIPS ON FRONT SEATS, NO RUST, ORIGINAL PAINT, ASKING $2500 . CAR IS CLOSE TO BAYONNE BRIDGE. PLEASE CALL

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 560 SEL ... and way too many Lincolns
530 Posts
I'm hardly an expert but looks like US spec bumpers and regardless of Euro or not it is essentially on "blocks" (or spare tires rather) unregistered (assuming therefore also un inspected) and gives me a bit of the creeps.

Unless it is $800 ...

·
Registered
1968 gto (sold) , 91 volvo 740, 89 $300TE, 89 560SEC
432 Posts
Sorry, I dont see anything euro there....

I may be wrong, but I think that one has been for sale for some time. A closer look might be warranted given the mileage, if accurate.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1990 500SL, 1986 500SEC
1,790 Posts
Lack of E/S switch, US bumpers front and rear, coin tray under steering wheel. I call it a uniquely optioned NA spec.

·
Registered
1983-2007 MB's
8,008 Posts
US specs could delete the standard leather for cloth upon customer request. Very uncommon.

·
Registered
1992 230CE
188 Posts
It seems that it has a third brakelight. Euro w126's never had it.

·
Registered
My 560SEL is out there...somewhere
14 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread in my first post here. I am going to look at the car in question Wednesday. I've been lurking here for several weeks soaking up knowledge. I am a German car veteran having owned numerous BMW 6 coupes up to and including an M6 in years past.

I know this is risky business. :crybaby2: However the cloth seats and mileage attract me. I'm clever with a wrench.... :D

I'd appreciate any thoughts on what to look for. BTW, the car is at $1200 this time out. Seller says it'll get me back to Massachusetts without a problem. ;-) :-/

Best,

Paul

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
Don't see the attraction myself, but you can see for yourself when you're there. About the only thing worthwhile might be the rear sunshade (a relatively rare item). These cars hate to sit, and I would wager this one would have all sorts of negative karma (pardon the pun) by virtue of sitting on spare tires for a while....

Check out the MB buyers guides included in the Newbies Sticky...http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1341572-attention-newbies-faq-w126-cars.html

You may be a newbie only by virtue of one post (even if you've lurked here for a while), but the above thread should be required reading.

For $1200, I would say chances are you'd be buying at least an additional $2000 worth of parts, let alone labor (even if you are clever with a wrench) just to get her up and on the road. The rubber bits are probably all shot, and the front end stuff would be a major concern as well.

Who knows-- could be a gem with a coat of dust...

·
Registered
14 Posts
ElRojo, thanks for the good advice. I've read the newb forum buyer's guide, there are some additional links there that no longer work.

I've been looking at these cars all over the net, and the spread is huge. The previous comments about this car are very informative, I especially like the one about bad karma over the car sitting on spares.

The original C/L ad didn't mention the exhaust, the seller said to me that the car IS Euro, and was up in the pix so as to check exhaust. He said as well that since these pix, he loaned the car to a friend who took it a distance down south and back.

I have learned long ago to believe far more what I can see with my own eyes than what a seller speaks.

My situation is recently I found that I have some health problems that do not affect my ability to work on cars, however do shorten my life expectancy a good bit. Since I could drive, I have owned some great (and not-so-great) special interest cars. I loved all the 6 coupes I had, and surely should have kept the M6, however with BMW it's "been there, done that" already. So...I remember the big Benz coupe.....to me these always had a road presence, thus here I am ready to jump in. I'd like to own one more fine German car before it is my time.

From what I have seen recently in both private sale and Ebay.....I feel that I may spend 5-7K on a car and still need go through the rubber, frontend, brakes, steering and so forth increasing my investment well beyond the point of return. This 80K coupe at least has low miles and price.....and I'm going in with my eyes open. I live in Massachusetts, I have use of a pickup and car trailer, worst case is I've spent some money for tolls and gas and go home with an empty trailer as the thought of this giving trouble on the road if I drove her home........ even though I have been with AAA a long time...enough to get a 200 mile tow.... that would put me home with the car.

So, I'll give the karma wheel a spin and see where it stops, and I'll surely post here on my experiences this coming Wednesday.

Best,

Paul

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Paul FYI, it's a euro if the vin starts with wdb126 instead of wdbca... At least the rear bumper is NA spec, but it's entirely possible it was replaced at some point.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
If there is rust...or evidence of collision damage repair.. RUN AWAY!!!

And don't forget the old adage, "The cheapest Mercedes ALWAYS costs the most."

Likely VERY true here...

·
Registered
14 Posts
If there is rust...or evidence of collision damage repair.. RUN AWAY!!!

And don't forget the old adage, "The cheapest Mercedes ALWAYS costs the most."

Likely VERY true here...
Rust.......I hear you! If it is rusty...I'm out of there... a previous poster commented on rear widow gasket being NG, I can see the peelback on the side pillars in the view of the back of the car. I'm also aware from reading here about rust problems at the bottom of the back glass, I'll be looking carefully in the trunk up at the area above, and in the bottom of the trunk, under the car...everywhere. The big attraction here for me is mileage and price......I'll admit it!

Somehow my gut tells me this may be the one.......I hope it is right. I really don't enjoy "pleasure" trips to NYC.

Best,

Paul

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
Good Luck and I hope she is a true gem in the rough. A lot of these "Self Imported" Gen II Euro then the third brake light might have been added as well depending upon the time of importation.
Again Good Luck.

·
Registered
84 500SEL AMG, 90 560SEC AMG, 85 500SEC AMG Widebody
1,728 Posts
The rear window is badly delaminated at the bottom corners. I can almost guarantee there is rust (maybe a lot of rust) lurking under the rear window seal. Check the trunk carpet for wetness on either side. Also check the front wheel wells for rust areas - the entire wheel wells - not just the edges. If this car has been in the NE its whole life, may be other rust issues. Doubt there will be any records, but ask about the timing chain, rails and tensioner. At that price, dont expect anything. You could easily be looking at $4-$8k in repairs/maintenance for rear window, rust repairs, suspension, engine and other needed items.

There's nothing more expensive than a cheap/poorly maintained W126.

Al

·
Registered
currently no MBs
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
... The big attraction here for me is mileage and price......I'll admit it!

Somehow my gut tells me this may be the one.......I hope it is right. I really don't enjoy "pleasure" trips to NYC.

Best,

Paul
Let me know if you need any help. NYC is not that bad if you know your way around. The rear window showing moisture is enough to scare me away from this one though.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,354 Posts
Yup that moisture isnt a good sign. But, it might not have rusted yet. It will be pretty obvious when you check with a torch up into those holes from the boot area.
And with the SEC's, it seems to be the rear wheel arches and wells that go extensively without it being too obvious, so worth a good poke around there.

Also in the front wheel wells, worth looking at the support turrets there, especially where the rubber drainage tubes come out. Easy for bad rust there to happen once the car is old.

If the rear window ledge is gone, it is repairable. Here in the UK quite a few people have done this now, its such a moisture trap, its very common. The SEC i bought recently has gone badly in that area, but the rest of the car is generally very un-rusty by standards here. I may or may not bother getting it done, the car was cheap and otherwise very good.
But you'd have to decide if you think its worth it when you see it.

Good luck, hope it proves worth a punt :)

·
Registered
'89 560SEC, '90 560SEL
680 Posts
Like everyone's saying, be wary and check out all the trouble areas, but the car is definitely worth a look. If the engine, tranny, and body are all solid then I think $1200 is fair. There are lots of items waiting to eat up your repair budget, it's true, but you've gotta be ready for that with any car like this.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts