Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I'm running mad and about to settle into an entire month at home with only four nights away! I got a call day before yesterday from "people I knows" and got word that a 90 300se was ready to go into the yard that had an excellent interior in grey leather interior. I ran out to check it out real quick and the guys got me dialed in with a plan to get stuff before the vultures tore stuff up. I was up until 0400 making costumes for my kids play and had a flight at 2pm scheduled and had to "gitter done" yesterday. Got to the yard at 0830 and pulled rear hat shelf, rear seat, both front seats with memory and switches, all four door panels, and all the various trim that I didn't have pristine examples. I also pulled the speaker boxes and felt liners from the front doors so I can install some 6' speakers in there in the future. I loaded it all up and made my flight in the afternoon with four minutes to spare! Today I'll clean the surface dirt from everthing and get it ready for deep cleaning and restoration. The car had been "hidden" since October while one guy got around to pulling the engine and another guy the transmission. The seats are near perfect with only one light scratch on the lower rear bench and a couple of hairline cracks in the passenger seat finish. I'm going to order up some Leatherique products and refinish the seats even though the are 90-95% right now. After pulling a harness from a prior car, I just cut the switches and seats from the existing harness and will run additional wire from the doors to the seats and I think this will be MUCH easier to do and just splice the harness together. I've got a ton of environmental splices left over from my aircraft electrician days :) I now have every single item sans the stickers for the buttons on the hat shelf and new felt for the slightly faded door seals to make the car look like factory new inside. Now I just have to get all this stuff out of the living room or face a major arse kicking from the marital unit.

STOKED!!!

While I was pulling stuff the delivery driver was telling me about this black w126 coming on his next load that had the grill was integrated into the hood and must have been a black KGB car at one time. I asked him if the left front fender was missing and if it had wood blocks for springs and then we had a good laugh. I only thought I'd seen the pimp car for the last time when I rolled it out of the hangar!

I've got parts to send to several of you and will be getting them together to go out FedEx. I get a huge discount on overnight/next day as a pilot's perk and will have a life in June to make stuff happen. Look for pm's in the next day or two.

Attachments

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
HEY! That looks like YOU!!!
Glad to see you've got some well deserved time off. Hope you keep the 19th of July free to join us at the Summer Nor Cal Diesel Drive. Especially since you had to miss the last one.
Good go on the interior. I need the same for my 380SE.

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HEY! That looks like YOU!!!
Glad to see you've got some well deserved time off. Hope you keep the 19th of July free to join us at the Summer Nor Cal Diesel Drive. Especially since you had to miss the last one.
Good go on the interior. I need the same for my 380SE.
Does kinda' does look like me but I don't have time to work yet another job :) I'm bidding pretty high on the list right now and "Should" have the interior done on the SD by then. Looking forward to actually getting to finish a GTG!

·
Registered
1994 s320
514 Posts
:rolleyes: i'e done the same today,but i got 90 300sel,all seats interior,speakers and dash board,in gray:)
Seats will be dyed tomorrow.I had to change seats computer and resolder some other wires.
I paid 100 for the interior and 36 for the dash, how much was for your steal?

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:rolleyes: i'e done the same today,but i got 90 300sel,all seats interior,speakers and dash board,in gray:)
Seats will be dyed tomorrow.I had to change seats computer and resolder some other wires.
I paid 100 for the interior and 36 for the dash, how much was for your steal?
Good Deal!
I was in for $150 without a dash but that's sitting in the spare room already. Your work looks great symbolic! Going black on black is going to look very sharp. My SD's paint is Anthracite (172) and had the grey interior which I really fond of. My SEL is also Anthracite but with black interior and dark tinted windows. I lose stuff in it at night :) I saw the crack filler in the grey seat. What system are you using? I'm using SEM on everything but the seats and going to go with Leatherique on them. I've got to say it makes a huge differrence when compared to my old tired Gen1 seats to see the "new" stuff in the car. Are you changing the vac actuators for the AC while you've got it down?

A note to others. When changing the rear seat out, grab the seatblets from the donor car also. I found that the gen1 latches are a bit shorter on the cable and won't fit neatly into the center arm rest.

·
Registered
1994 s320
514 Posts
Good Deal!
I was in for $150 without a dash but that's sitting in the spare room already. Your work looks great symbolic! Going black on black is going to look very sharp. My SD's paint is Anthracite (172) and had the grey interior which I really fond of. My SEL is also Anthracite but with black interior and dark tinted windows. I lose stuff in it at night :) I saw the crack filler in the grey seat. What system are you using? I'm using SEM on everything but the seats and going to go with Leatherique on them. I've got to say it makes a huge differrence when compared to my old tired Gen1 seats to see the "new" stuff in the car. Are you changing the vac actuators for the AC while you've got it down?

A note to others. When changing the rear seat out, grab the seatblets from the donor car also. I found that the gen1 latches are a bit shorter on the cable and won't fit neatly into the center arm rest.
As for the crack filler I'm using Leatherique (didnt like COLOR PLUS),but I use COLOR PLUS BLACK DYE,I think it absorbs better then Leatherique.

How did you know im changing vac actuators?;)
:mad:Man i was so exited at the junk yard ,i tried to strip everything possible,and i got OVEREXITED :mad: i forgor some stuff when i was loading my treasure-rear speakers,all the fasteners under dash trim:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
As for the crack filler I'm using Leatherique (didnt like COLOR PLUS),but I use COLOR PLUS BLACK DYE,I think it absorbs better then Leatherique.

How did you know im changing vac actuators?;)
:mad:Man i was so exited at the junk yard ,i tried to strip everything possible,and i got OVEREXITED :mad: i forgor some stuff when i was loading my treasure-rear speakers,all the fasteners under dash trim:mad::mad::mad:
Hey symbolic!

Since you seem to have experience with both systems which one do you prefer for the "conditioning oils"? I had planned to use Leatherique based on reviews I've found on the net but notice that the Color Plus is a little easier on the wallet. I'll still use SEM on the plastic componants since I've used it and have good experience with it.

I hate it when I get into a feeding frenzy at the wrecking yard. Good scraps always get left behind :)

I had thought about going with a two tone grey scheme in the car ala w140 S600 but I'm thinking that the lighter carpet in my car might not make it work well. A darker dove grey on the sides with the lighter grey in the seating area might have been really sharp :(

·
Registered
1994 s320
514 Posts
Check the picture where the seats are,and to the right my old rear seats,i made id like you said,but mine are Palomino-Black , my old seats were beyond repair ,specially front ,you can see them to the left with custom maid seat covers. From far it looked awesome,two tone interior,for the arm rest i left outer edges Palomino and rest was Black ,it was nice,you can check photo gallery my car is in there with the old interior.
As for the conditioner,I use GLIPTONE Gliptone: The Finest Professional Car Care Products Made ,
what a smell,seats are like new.I'm yet to try Zaino's "leather in the bottle",
but this stuff is killer,1qt is only $19 ,and i bought it 1,5 years ago ,whith 3 cars i still have plenty left.
I also tried to do some work on my s320 but not as heavy as 300sd http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1363546-show-your-w140-mods-13.html ,i sewed black carpet on top of old floor mats which left me with nice mushroom color outer edge.,same i did with all w126 carpets,my fingers were sore for 3 days.;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts