Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1991 w126 420SEL, 1986 w126 Euro 560SEC (option 822), 2000 E55, 2003 E55, 2003 SL55
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gen II headlight wipers needed. Posted in sale but thought someone may have a lead if they were aware of my search. Finding lots of Gen I at the yards but as has been pointed out. NO worky!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe - RIP
10,014 Posts
I am assuming you want Euro Gen II's? Nearly impossible to find. I have a set of motors that need rebuilding, but Trooper6 (Mike) has first dibs on them. Try Roland. He's the best source for them. Make sure you get a good set of arms with intact covers.

I got my motors online somewhere. But I ended up buying the arms and blades from MB. It was $500.00 for two Euro Arms and two blades. The 4" long wiper blades are $75.00 each. I am hoping that a set I found at AHAZ will fit. The arms are like $150.00 each too. They were major bucks.

Hit Roland up.

·
Registered
1989 Mercedes 560SEC
244 Posts
I have a set of euro motors that I am never going to use, Not sure if they are gen 1 or 2. Also have the US Spec motors and wipers on my car, that I am ready to get rid of.

·
Registered
1991 w126 420SEL, 1986 w126 Euro 560SEC (option 822), 2000 E55, 2003 E55, 2003 SL55
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Because my car had them originally and someone changed at some point would the motors still be the right ones? Or would they have changed the whole thing for compatibility reasons?

·
Premium Member
10,014 Posts
What do they have now? I forget? US?

·
Premium Member
10,014 Posts
Here is what I have learned about HLW's when I searched for mine.

As far as the arms and blades themselves go, they are different for each iteration of body style. That is Gen I Coupe arms are different from Gen II Coupe arms. Same for Sedans. The Gen I sedan arms are different from Gen II sedan arms. Gen I coupe arms are different from Gen I sedan arms and same for Gen II C vs. S.

This ALSO goes for US to Euro. So there were 8 different iterations of HLW's made just for two bodies over 11 years. Boy somebody took their job way too seriously...

I believe there are differences in the motors too as I have repaired several and they all trace back to the same patters.

Also, Gen II US to Euro's, the Motors. The shafts are 2" outboard Euro to US. The Gen II's have a plastic fitting for the washer line. If that is the center-line then the US shafts are inboard of that by like 1.2" or something. Well on Euros, the shaft is outboard of that by the exact same amount. Reason? Well as we know US wipers point out and wipe in and Euros point in and wipe out. Why?? WTF knows? Again, keep the Germans busy designing stuff??? Maybe. But I am glad they came up with the Euro design because I like that look much better.

Also, the internals of the motor are genius. They hardly ever go wrong and when they do, they are easy to fix. You just have to study the gears inside and understand how they have a "Zero Point" for the stroke and you have to re-assemble them the same way.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I like most of what I hear so far. It seems that there may be different motors for some of the wipers but then again maybe not. I will study this more but it does sound like what I assumed would be an easy JY pic is not the case. As you can see someone mounted US arms in reverse which I hope means that it is still Euro motors that forced them to do this. (would make life a little easier although I am not holding my breath until I see the part number or see the connection of the Euro wipers.

Attachments

·
Registered
Smoke Silver '87 560SEC, Black Pearl '87 560SEL
4,589 Posts
I have three sets of US wiper motors and arms. Two from '87 SECs and one from an '87 SEL - all Gen II's. PM me and we will figure out what I have, will it fit, and how to get them to you.

·
Premium Member
10,014 Posts
Mike he wants Euro...

DBMB - Cycle the wipers and see if they wipe out. Also is the shaft on the INSIDE of the washer hose?

If the answers to both of those is yes, then you have Euro motors installed and all you have to do is go down to your friendly, but terribly expensive Benz dealer and order new Euro arms and blades and be prepared to hand him the better part of $500.00. But oooh so worth it, IMHO.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Mike he wants Euro...

DBMB - Cycle the wipers and see if they wipe out. Also is the shaft on the INSIDE of the washer hose?

If the answers to both of those is yes, then you have Euro motors installed and all you have to do is go down to your friendly, but terribly expensive Benz dealer and order new Euro arms and blades and be prepared to hand him the better part of $500.00. But oooh so worth it, IMHO.
Well the washer hose is closer to the center (about an inch. separate hole) than the posts for the arm mount to the motor.
Wipers did not come on. Could be something simple will have to look at it tomorrow more closely

Revise. I reread what you said about the washer lines and posts. It does appear that mine are as the Euro model should be. So now just figure out why they don't come online and pick up at the local checker a set of wiper arms and blades. :)

·
Registered
1989 300SE (Rear Ended & Junked) 1995 E420, Fully Loaded with Ortho Seats & Rear Sun Shade :)
511 Posts
Mike he wants Euro...

Wouldn't Roland be cheaper?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts