Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may remember a month ago or so I posted that I found what I believed to be be an ECE motor for sale. The engine comes from a 1987 euro 560SEC with 90K kilometers, which the current owner (one of my benz mechanics) decided to remove in favor of a diesel. I know I know... but his loss is my gain :D

My car is an 88 US spec 560 SEL that was imported to Panama sometime in the early 2000's from Texas. I have no idea what the real mileage is since the ODO was dead on arrival (stuck at 132K) and I have owned the car 3+ years now so its fair to assume 180K+ by now. The trans was rebuilt in 2008 right before I purchased the car. Engine is strong but its A) US spec so low on power overall and B)in need of head work which I was ready to do until this gem turned up.

I have acquired the said engine (117 016 45 01) and accompanying trans (126 271 31 01) with all computers, EZL's, etc for $800 and will begin to do all the prep work required (new gaskets, fluids, plugs, chain, etc) this week. Hopefully we should be ready for the swap by mid Dec. I will document the swap as we go forward and post progress.

I will need to fabricate a new cat less free flow exhaust from the Tri - Y's all the way back since my US spec stuff is getting the boot. We'll probably also need to replace the transmission shifter as the donor car came with FGS.

I'm excited for this project as my car is transforming nicely into a real king of the road. In the meantime here are some pics:

·
Registered
432 Posts
$800.00!!!!!! I hate you!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though, good luck with it.. Done right it will make a hell of a performance difference!

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Good luck with your project. I did the same thing recently. I swapped a Euro engine, tranny EZL with related electronics and exhaust from my totaled SEC into my US spec SEL.

I was pretty much in the same boat. The SEL had 160k on the odometer and had the dreaded head gasket leak and a leak at the rear main seal so I was thinking about a upper end overhaul, until my SEC got totaled. The decision to do the swap was a no brainer and my 111K Euro engine went in instead of an overhaul.

The difference is astounding. I chirp my tires just pulling it out of the garage.:)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Wow, cool...

When new, does the 560 ECE motor put out more HP then the standard 560 SEC motor?

No cat between motor and the back of the car...very cool...that's what we all need. Go for a straight back 3.5" exhaust system...that will really sound cool.

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
Congratulations!!

Here's the VIN writeup. Don't see a 822 code in there. What you can do is peek at the motor stamping on the top left near drivers side valve cover where trans meets up with the block. Should read 117 968 xxxxx and a prefix - HV if you're lucky.

Not sure if the RuF 560 9:1 versions in 1986 had tri-y's, but since they did for the 5.0's, anythings possible.

Save the skidpad if the car still has it for yours! Very good insurance to have.

VEHICLE TYPE:* Car
MODEL NAME:* 560 SEC JAPAN
ENGINE:* 117968 12 016126
TRANSMISSION:* 722323 02 832597
BODY:* 02313
ORDER NUMBER:* 0574110270
LIGHTS:* BOSCH
INTERIOR COLOR:* 277
PAINTS:* 587

RETARDER:* 2 860818

251***RADIO MB - EXQUISIT - USA

430***HEADREST IN THE REAR, LEFT AND RIGHT

481***UNDERSHIELDS

682***FIRE EXTINGUISHER

835***SOUTHERN KOREA-SUPPLEMENTARY PARTS

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Good for you...and what can I say about the mechanic, a man to be reckoned with...

Injection is all good, but who wouldn't rather be blown?
:)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for running the VIN. I also noticed it does not have the 822 code, however it does have the tri - y's and also has the 2 resistor dials marked ECE by the fusebox and foot-well. The donor car did not have cats installed either. I am also thinking it may be a RUF engine. Ill snap a pic of the rear block to see if HV appears.

Either way I for sure have a more powerful motor than the choked 238 HP US setup. Regarding the exhaust, I am going to have something fabricated that sounds nice and throaty, but is still civilized for daily driving. Well see what kind of options I have once were done with the actual swap.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi everyone, I wanted to post an updated on this project. The motor swap had begun and we are progressing nicely. New parts so far include chain, tensioner, guide rails, valve cover gaskets, and assorted other rubber and parts. While we had the covers off I snapped some pics of the rocker arms and valves, things look good under there! Take a look at the pics of the swap so far below. One question, you will notice a pic with a small crack in the upper manifold area, is this something I should worry about?

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,542 Posts
Here's the VIN writeup. Don't see a 822 code in there. What you can do is peek at the motor stamping on the top left near drivers side valve cover where trans meets up with the block. Should read 117 968 xxxxx and a prefix - HV if you're lucky.

Not sure if the RuF 560 9:1 versions in 1986 had tri-y's, but since they did for the 5.0's, anythings possible.

VEHICLE TYPE:* Car
MODEL NAME:* 560 SEC JAPAN
ENGINE:* 117968 12 016126
TRANSMISSION:* 722323 02 832597
BODY:* 02313
ORDER NUMBER:* 0574110270
LIGHTS:* BOSCH
INTERIOR COLOR:* 277
PAINTS:* 587

RETARDER:* 2 860818
251***RADIO MB - EXQUISIT - USA
430***HEADREST IN THE REAR, LEFT AND RIGHT
481***UNDERSHIELDS
682***FIRE EXTINGUISHER
835***SOUTHERN KOREA-SUPPLEMENTARY PARTS
587 - pajett red met.
277 - leather red

251 - Becker Mexico Cassette electronic
835 - coir mats

This is 117.968 RÜF (EZL trimmer plug with ECE inscription), 200 kW (ECE have 220 kW), e=9,0:1 (i.e. not HV).
Tri-y manifolds is for all versions without catalytic converter.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info. So this is indeed a RUF engine with 270HP then. Already a step up from my 238 US spec beast for sure.

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
What did you find on the block stamping? A 86-87 non-822 euro 560 will be 272hp 9:1 (RuF version). Is the ezl that came with the engine a 4-pin or 8-pin? That will help decipher.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,542 Posts
This is 100% RÜF. :cool:

08/1986, HV only from 09/1987 or with code 822, there no 822 in data card and 004 545 34 32 is 4x2 pin EZL control box only for RÜF (821) or KAT (620) M117.968 engines, but no code 62/0 in data-card. 821 also no in data-card, but 821 is standard, thus
  • RÜF
  • 200 kW
  • 9.0:1
:givemebeer:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool, well I am happy with the increase of HP and loosing all the US emissions crap in the process. I will snap some pics of the donor car (which was not in a wreck), just my mechanic swapped in a diesel instead. The interior has seen better days though, overall it was in pretty rough condition except for the drive-train.

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
Dr S,

Do you know of any factory modifications to 822-code engines other than the cams and specific-EZL?

I sold a 822 engine recently and it had 822 stamped on the heads, and 16/17 cams. The engine was redone but the donor car's heads retained and the 822 heads put aside. There is debate whether any mods were done to the heads themselves from the factory, or any special distributor configurations. Most say no, some say factory did PnP (port n polish). I will be retrieving the heads from the rebuilder post-Christmas to replace the 822 cams I had kept aside for some time.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey anyone have any comments on the little crack on the intake side of the manifold as seen in the posted pics? My mechanic says no need to worry but, alas I still worry.

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
Hard to tell what type of crack it is, looks like an ink splotch.

However at any rate if it were me I would want the intake swapped from the donor car for peace of mind.

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is a blown up picture of it. Its not an ink blotch, that's for sure. This manifold is from the donor car, the only other option is taking the one from my US motor and placing it on this one, but I wouldn't mind avoiding the extra work if its not a significant risk to anything.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,542 Posts
Dr S,

Do you know of any factory modifications to 822-code engines other than the cams and specific-EZL?

I sold a 822 engine recently and it had 822 stamped on the heads, and 16/17 cams. The engine was redone but the donor car's heads retained and the 822 heads put aside. There is debate whether any mods were done to the heads themselves from the factory, or any special distributor configurations. Most say no, some say factory did PnP (port n polish). I will be retrieving the heads from the rebuilder post-Christmas to replace the 822 cams I had kept aside for some time.
I am saying only about code 822 (220 kW), not about RÜF (220 kW).

822 [in comparison with KAT (178 kW) or RÜF (200 kW)]:
  • different camshafts - 16/17 designation,
  • different KE- control unit - 004 545 25 32 (in modern parts catalog it is replaced with ECU for KAT/RÜF)
  • EZL control box - 004 545 34 32,
  • EZL correcting trimmer plug - 013 545 78 28 "EZL",
  • different exhaust tri-y manifolds (in comp. with KAT),
  • different pistons (e=10.0:1),
  • different vacuum modulator - black, 126 270 43 79 (in comp. with KAT), 4.0 bar modulating pressure (RÜF - 4.2, KAT - 3.8).
All M117.968 have identical cylinder heads - 117 010 33 41 and 117 010 35 41. All ones have two types of the exhaust manifolds, two types of the vacuum modulator - for motor with a cat. con. and for other versions.

Salutte aus Schweiz!!! :eclipsee_steering:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts