Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
Captain Spalding - 2/18/2005 7:56 PM

I see it in print both ways. My owner's manual (auf Deutch) reads Geländewagen.

— Spalding
"ae" is how a typewriter without an "a-umlaut" = "ä" does the "ä" . "ä" is correct German.

·
Registered
300GE Cab, 6.9
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, yeah, but. . .

I suspected as much, but personally I haven't touched a typewriter in a decade. By this time can't every computer produce an ä?

·
Registered
G560, GSR 500
190 Posts
RE: Well, yeah, but. . .

Captain Spalding - 2/18/2005 8:25 PM

I suspected as much, but personally I haven't touched a typewriter in a decade. By this time can't every computer produce an ä?
[know-it-all-modus/on]
[:D] off course it can..... if you've got the ASCII-Code by hand. and than still, you've got to press ALT+123 (123=example for a 3 digit number). that's more work than just pressing a+e. german keyboards obviously have extra buttons for äüö and the ß. but when i lived in england, i had no german keyboard and therefore wrote allways ae,ue,oe and ss. and given the fact that my surname has one of these bl**dy things in it, and after various people have been spelling my name wrong, i just started to even use oe instead ö in my name, because oe is more right than just o. in german passports there are allways both versions of a name, the "right"-german one with ö,ü or ä and in the bottom line the international writting with respect to the english alphabet and therefore oe,ue or ae.
so "ae" is not really wrong, it's ok to use when not other possible and concerning the "DUDEN" (german equivalent to.... say the oxfort dictionary) it is not only allowed but also asked for to change the ä into an "ae" when the relevant word is used in any other language......
[know-it-all-modus/off]

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts

G560 - 2/19/2005 11:42 AM

[know-it-all-modus/off]
[;)]

·
Registered
300GE Cab, 6.9
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

[pathetically zealous Mac booster]
I've been typing proper umlauts on Apple computers since 1985, when I got a Mac SE. It had a whopping 40 Mb hard drive, a whole Mb of RAM (thats not just 1000 kb, remember, it's 1024!), and a 9" monochrome screen. But even on that humble machine, and every Mac since, it's always only been three keystrokes to get ä - OPTION+U+A.
[/pathetically zealous Mac booster]

[:D][:D][:D]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts