Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
200E (1988) & E280 (1993) & Alfa Romeo Spider (1978)
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Good that You succeded with the challenge Kjell, now its my turn to do the same (both "K1" and solenoid). Did You face any problems, or do You have any comments on doing the repair, that could help?

Luciano :)

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 300TE-24 1992 sportline 104/722.501 Chevrolet Tahoe 1996 6.5TD Ford P100
12 Posts
Hi Luciano.

The only "challenge" I met during the operation was to find out the easiest way to get the solenoid out. What I found out: You need the take away an "arm" that is right in front of the solenoid so you can slide it out. It is held by an ordinary bolt with 10 mm head that you actually cant see because it is behind this plastic arm that is attached to the bigger arm that you must take away. Because the screw is tight to that plastic lever you should try to get a tiny 10 mm wrench. Or maybe grind one down. This will make it much easier to loosen that bolt.

Except of that it is a very easy task:)

The K1 job is very good excplained in the K1 tread i believe you have read. And it is that easy as described:)

The K1 upgrade can I recommend to everyone! If you are going to change filter, change the K1 spring kit as well. It cost about €10 (85 nkr in Norway) and its just a fraction of the cost of filter and oil:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
So the happy moment reached me to ... changed the solenoid ... and the problem is solved. I made also the K1 upgrade, and totally agree with Kjell, that it is a good idea to have it changed.

Thanks for Your attention on my (our) problem

Luciano

·
Registered
1 Posts
Evening all.

I hope you can help, I have the exact same 4th gear issue on my 1993 E320.

Can anybody advise me of the part number for the mentioned solenoid / control valve and the best UK supplier of the same?

Many thanks,
James

·
Registered
7 Posts
My current problem applies to a 1993, E280 with 104 engine and 722.5, 5speed auto box.

Auto box is misbehaving.

1. Starts fine, up changes quite smoothly and at correct speeds.

2. At the 3 to 4 up-change point, it engages 4th for about half a second then changes to 5th.

3. Switching from D to 4th with the lever has no effect, it remains in 5th.

4. Down-changes are very slow and only happen when very low road speed is reached.

5. Manual selection of 3rd results in 3rd being selected after around 2 seconds (very slowly). If

left in 3rd, it behaves much as it should short of being reluctant to select 2nd except at very low road speeds.

6. Kick down (foot flat to the floor) results in 2 or 3 seconds of 'thought' and then off we go!

In other threads I found mentioned the TCM that have influence on the gearshifting (when removing it, it should bypass the 4.gear). Could it be this part giving problems ??

The diagnose tester mentioned a mistake on the gearbox solenoid connection (I dont have the exact fault description)

Thank You for spending Your time on helping us disabled W124 lovers !

Best regards from Luciano (Denmark)
Hello zolu, I have exactly the same problem with the gearbox on my E320 W124. % speed auto. Did you eventually sort out the poblem and how.
Many thanks
Colin

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi zolu did you manage to sort out the gearbox problem on your Mercedes. I have exactly the same problem on my W124 E320 5 speed auto. I would appreciate any help.
Thanks Colin

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
No, I have no updates - as mentioned before - changing the solenoid solved the problem for me.

Best regards
Luciano

·
Registered
W208 CLK200K,R170 SLK230K,R107 350SL,W124 300CE24,W124 300D
3 Posts
Hi ... I have similar problem as mentioned by colinspain except that mine does not shift to 5th gear. It stays at 4th ... and sluggish shifting down to lower gear.

So im going to try changing the solenoid as you have described - zolu.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
W124 300TE-24 Sportline/ Porsche 964 C2
26 Posts
Just want to thank this thread!

I had the same no 4th gear problem on my 300TE 24 Sportline, but after clearing fault code 9 as already explained in this thread, I now have a 5 speed box! Great cheap fix, and feels like I have a new car!

Now to check what other fault codes lurk!

Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
MB W124 E320 Coupe sportsline
2 Posts
no 5. gear

Maybe someone can help me?
My car e320ce 1993 has problem to shift to 5 gear. 1-2-3-4 gear works perfect.

Overload sensor on left side of gearbox is wet!

Error codes found
Socket 8
4 blink. Load sensor in EAL/AKR control module faulty
12 blink. Tn-signal is outside the tolerance range
13 blink. Full load contact does not open
20 blink Ignition control module DTC memory faulty.
All codes are reset and don't come again after driving

Socket 14
2 blink. Cruise control/idle speed sensor actuator
4 blink. Cruise control switch.
5 blink. Stop lamp switch
14blink. ??
The cruice control arm is loos but it works. I have changed the hall sensor at the speedo and checked the switch at the gearshifter.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts