1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz `89 300tdt
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an `95 w124 250d with 722.4 gearbox

I thinking of swapping the .4 box with an .3 box wich I have "in stock"

is it a bolt on swap? and what is the differences with these boxes about from .3 boxes have the large casing.

will it fit with the driveshaft and the converter? and what about the electric connector, selector rod and the cable? anything else I forgot?

thankfull for any answer:cool:

·
Registered
1993 230 TE.1999 om 606 td. and 722.6 3.2L,clk w208 1987 Kit car with 260e running gear.
733 Posts
Hi Haakon.

Why do you want to change the box?
Are you in UK, guessing here because you said box and not transmission :).
Also because you have a 250d and not td.
Anyway, you need to first try to find out about gear ratios as the existing box has ratios to suit the Diesel motor.
What did your proposed replacement come from?

Boyd :)

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz `89 300tdt
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Boyd

the rason I am thinking of changing the box is beause I have a flair between 2-3 gear, I have changed the k1 piston kit, it helped a bit, but I must still get of the throttle for it to change without jumping out of gear before 3rd is engaged.

The reason for the .3 swap is for the previously owner bought it for swap, so I assumed it was the rigt box, but no. maybe its just as easy to sell the .3 box and get the right one.

If you have any suggestions for adjustment, dont hesitate;) I have tried adjusting the T-key on the box, the modulator on the engine, and the cable, with pretty much the same result regarding on the flair between 2. and 3rd. even without the vacuum hose there is flair. maybe some clutches are worn?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good day, I have a 1990 w126 300se. About two days ago out of nowhere the transmission started making a terrible grinding noise, especially when the car was in 1st and park. I immediately took it home and it started sliping in reverse. Today I needed to run an errand for my mom and the car refused to go into reverse. I have decided to swap the transmission out rather than send it to a mechanic to have it rebuilt. I have a friend who has a complete w124 260e that he is stripping for spares, he told me that he would give the the transmission and torque distributor for ZAR2000 about a hundred dollars. The trouble is my car is a 3.0 and his 2.6, he assured me that the transmission would fit. Im not too sure. Should I buy this gearbox? Or sould I source another gearbox?
Also I would be doing work myself due to lack of funds, i have worked on several manual cars, never an automatic. Are there any tips on how to go about the process? I wouldn't want to ruin a second transmission.

Kind regards.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,371 Posts
300se uses the 722.3, 260e uses the 722.4.

No point in putting the .4 trans in a car which originally came with the stronger .3

·
Registered
8 Posts
300se uses the 722.3, 260e uses the 722.4.

No point in putting the .4 trans in a car which originally came with the stronger .3
Thank you for your swift and cordial reply! I will source a 772.3 transmission for my car. Do you have any further tips or advice for when I do the swap?

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,371 Posts
On a US spec W126 300SE the trans is a 722.351 BUT IIRC 300SE cars can have different 722.3xx transmission depending if they have catalyst emissions equipment or not.

In other words, you should check yours first and source the exact replacement.

As for replacement, always put in a new quality (preferably original MB) transmission mount and engine mounts to maintain the proper driveline ange. Ditto on replacing the rear crank seal when the transmission is out, this is the ideal moment.

Paint and mark everything so everything goes back exactly as was removed.

Inspect the driveshaft flex joints and center support bearing while the shaft is out. Replace if the joints shows signs of age (cracks, etc.). Ditto on the center support bearing.

Stock up on long extension bars to get to the bellhousing bolts.

Get ready to do a lot of cursing and swearing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts