Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1983 500 SEC
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,having had a massive oild leak and suspecting a cracked Torque Converter,I popped the gearbox out earlier,suprisingly easy,actually quite enjoyed it.Anyway the TC looks fine no apparant damage and as far as the front seal goes i am nto sure what it should look like.I was sort of expecting it to not be there at all bearing in mind the extent of the leak.I have put some photos here incase anyone can spot something wrong??,Any help as always greatly apreciated.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1388.snc4/164051_472904891262_690611262_6257315_6001727_n.jpg
[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Typically the seal is hard and discolored and there is a wear ring. A bad ring will mean the new seal won't be able to seal as well as when the box was new.

·
Premium Member
1986 420SEL/1995 E300D/4 BMW’s/2 Vanagon’s
1,026 Posts
Well, getting it out is the hard part. Might as well replace that and the rear main seal on the engine.

·
Registered
1983 500 SEC
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys,I was more hoping from the pictures if anyone can tell me if the seal looks as it should in the pictures

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the replys,I was more hoping from the pictures if anyone can tell me if the seal looks as it should in the pictures
Good job on getting a trannie pulled! Like the other member mentioned this is the hard part!

Do you have a new seal yet? If you don't have it yet, bring the old one in when you buy the new one. Ask the guys behind the conter for their opinion Compair the new one with the old one. I bet you'll find this one to be harder.

In any case, replace the seal.

You're going to need something to drive the new seal in. Check your local auto part store to see if they rent the tool to install them. If they don't, find a piece of pipe that is just about the same size of the outside diameter. If you haven't installed a seal before you might want to ask for help from someone who has.

Make sure to ask questions!

Regards,

Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts