Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's a bit of an odd one.

My father-in-law has just bought a '94 s280. (Yeah, I know, but apart from being a little underpowered, and horribly undergeared, it's a nice car)

Basically, it doesn't kickdown...

It's as if the kickdown cable is simply not connected (which it seems to be). Push foot all the way to the floor, and the kickdown switch knocks it down two gears as expected. Moving the gear lever to 3 or 2 works fine, it's just when you push you foot down after slowing, it doesn't kickdown.
Trying to accelerate in a s280 from 20mph in 4th gear really doesn't get you anywhere! If you come to a complete stop, it'll go back into 1st.

Is there some sort of electronics or vacuum or valve that could cause this?

Electrical faults I can fix - mechanical ones cause me much head scratching!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/opinions...

Chris.

edit: Oh, it is a recon gearbox - does that help? ;)

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Yes both.. vac feed to gearbox controler.. and speed feed.. check the plug.. its a 8 or 10 pin on the left side of the box above the oil pan.. check to make sure its in and contacts clean.. Oh yes .. and check the fuse box for a blown one...

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes both.. vac feed to gearbox controler.. and speed feed.. check the plug.. its a 8 or 10 pin on the left side of the box above the oil pan.. check to make sure its in and contacts clean.. Oh yes .. and check the fuse box for a blown one...
Excellent, cheers for the pointers. Will have a crawl under there at the weekend.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, I'm a bloody idiot!

Car was in Economy - from the instruction manual, it says it won't kick down unless you floor it.

I put the car back into Standard, and it goes up and down the gears as it should.

How embarrassing!

Thanks for your reply anyway Merc600SEC

·
10,293 Posts
swap your car to a US 722.5 gearbox, i know, lots more problematic, but much better gear ratios, and 5 gears... and best of all, no E and S to select from.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts