Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i grew some balls and decided to pull out the 4 bolts at the base of the gear box. i had to pry back the side ventialtion ducts to get to the bolts tho. not fun doing this alone.
also broke the plastc black bridge connecting the 2 sides of the console.

ok anyways, in the pics below, that nut around the shaft, is that the only one i need to loosen and the slide out the shaft and then slide in the new one? Please say yes. LOL

seriously tho, is there anything else i need to do ,beside hopefully get everything back in place and screwed back in .

oh and theres a pic of the wheel in place too, alignment is in place so thats good but theres stil a big gap in between the hub and shaft. dunno why

thank u all

Attachments

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
That's too bad about the center plastic...You'll find w/ time the center console sides will spread apart and the transmission wood will have excess space on either side:-/ Replacing that part is about 700 last I looked.

But yes, undo that nut (should be a 15..) and install the new shift lever.

Jonathan

·
Registered
2008 S550 designo
396 Posts
YES! You've got it. Just as Jonathan said, loosen nut and unscrew shaft - repeat in reverse with new one.

Trey

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
done and done, im gonna go take pics now,

as for the console spreading apart. had no choice, LOL. something had to give.

im gonna find something to make a bridge across the 2 side and make a makeshift connector with superglue

also i was thinking wiht the wood, i wanna line the perimeter of it with some sort of adhesive. anyone recommend waht will stick the wood to the console material.

thanks

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Vdub - I have to say a job well done. Looked like a nightmare. I couldn't have done that if my life depended on it.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
heres some pics, i still need to get the wood in place proper tho

also whats the white wire in the engine pic and the black box in the last pic for??

Attachments

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
time for an AMG badge now too, lol

·
Registered
380SEC EURO
1,430 Posts
Well, you finally got there. LOL. [8D]

It definitely looks good, especially the steering wheel. Good job.

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
yup! looks good.

·
Registered
w126 420 sel
622 Posts
very handsome and elegant shift knob. i will stick with the stock one though, seems to be to much trouble but, great job!

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
does feel good to be done

anyone recommend a good adhesive to keep the wood down, or will superglue suffice

how bout that white wire in the pic, any know wht it is, thanks

·
Mercedes
9,046 Posts
vdub... there's something wrong with the hub instalation on the steering colomn. There shouldn't be that much gap between. Try re-adjusting it because you might run into problems in the future with stuff(read junk and dust) building up and screwing with the way you steer. Just my oppinion.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Nothing wrong with the installation of the steering wheel and boss - except that it is not the correct design for the w126.

You need the original AMG hub/boss, on which the end overlap plate is wider and hence covers that gap. Have a look on german ebay searching for 'Mercedes lenkrad nabe'.

The lip on the original AMG/MB boss is noticeably wider.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh bloody hell. i cant go through this again[:0]

ok, well if i dont make changes and everything is screwed in tight as can be, will i have any problems.

as for dust ill make a cover for that and surround the opening

i have been driving the car, everything feels fine, wheel is straight

the gear know is considerably longer than the OEM one. and bigger.
anyone ele noticed that with their wood ones?

·
Registered
'82 500 SEL (Euro)
105 Posts
If your'e still wanting to glue the wood try "Maverick Bond" My glove box vaneering was starting to part from the aluminium backing & after tubes of superglue, contact glue etc. I came across this product - it stuck first time & has never budged.
www.maverick-co.com/products/bond/index.asp

·
Registered
2008 S550 designo
396 Posts
vdubpower - 5/4/2005 1:32 PM

the gear know is considerably longer than the OEM one. and bigger.
anyone ele noticed that with their wood ones?
No. Mine is exactly the same size and length as OE. I compared them when I had them both out.

Trey

·
Mercedes
9,046 Posts
talbir - 5/4/2005 10:47 AM

Nothing wrong with the installation of the steering wheel and boss - except that it is not the correct design for the w126.

You need the original AMG hub/boss, on which the end overlap plate is wider and hence covers that gap. Have a look on german ebay searching for 'Mercedes lenkrad nabe'.

The lip on the original AMG/MB boss is noticeably wider.
Can you point me to a picture or show one what a w126 hub or "boss" as they may say it in the UK looks like? I don't see a difference.. but maybe you can point out something that I don't see.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Attached are a couple of pics, showing the AMG wheel and boss on my euro 500SEC AMG. I have the same boss on my euro 560SEC, but different style original w126 AMG steering.
Not even a hint of a gap - and the boss styling pattern matches EXACTLY that of the steering column shroud. It's a perfect match - the original AMG boss is the one to use.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts