Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
2000 E320
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

I know there are several post about shifter issues, but none quite match my problem. And it's a real simple problem: my shifter is stuck in park. I have to stick a pen into the shift lock override to get it to shift into gear. BUT, that is the only symptom I have.

When I searched the forums, people had the same problem as me but with additional symptoms such as not being able to remove the key or getting stuck in limp home mode. I don't have any of those problems. No CEL and brake lights work fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

W163 and General Mercedes Host
Hello Everyone!

I know there are several post about shifter issues, but none quite match my problem. And it's a real simple problem: my shifter is stuck in park. I have to stick a pen into the shift lock override to get it to shift into gear. BUT, that is the only symptom I have.

When I searched the forums, people had the same problem as me but with additional symptoms such as not being able to remove the key or getting stuck in limp home mode. I don't have any of those problems. No CEL and brake lights work fine.

Any help would be appreciated.
Any liquids spilled on the shifter area before or recently?

===>>> Update your user CP info....

click on your icon----> click on Account Settings---->
goto Account Details----> add vehicle details---->
ADD your make model YEAR ----> click save

Registered
2000 E320
Discussion Starter #3
Any liquids spilled on the shifter area before or recently?

===>>> Update your user CP info....

click on your icon----> click on Account Settings---->
goto Account Details----> add vehicle details---->
ADD your make model YEAR ----> click save
It is entirely possible something spilled in there.

It is entirely possible something spilled in there.
So you are certain it's not the BLS. (btw, these are cheap to swap out ~$20usd). You've actually physically inspected it too?
Then it's possible it's your shift module. Are the shifts smooth/fine?

Registered
2000 E320
Discussion Starter #5
So you are certain it's not the BLS. (btw, these are cheap to swap out ~$20usd). You've actually physically inspected it too?
Then it's possible it's your shift module. Are the shifts smooth/fine?
No, I'm not certain. But, the brake lights do come on when I press the pedal. Is this not indicative of it working properly?

The shifts are very smooth.

No, I'm not certain. But, the brake lights do come on when I press the pedal. Is this not indicative of it working properly?

The shifts are very smooth.

Search feature =================> top of your page. ;)

Registered
2000 E320
Discussion Starter #7

Search feature =================> top of your page. ;)
Once again, I do not have any error lights. This test did not tell me anything since I am not experiencing BAS/ASR.
I have been searching the forums here and from what I am reading, a bad BLS can cause the brake lights to not work, the BAS light to come on, or the cruise control to not work property. I have not had any of those issues which makes me think there is something wrong with the shifter itself.

Once again, I do not have any error lights. This test did not tell me anything since I am not experiencing BAS/ASR.
I have been searching the forums here and from what I am reading, a bad BLS can cause the brake lights to not work, the BAS light to come on, or the cruise control to not work property. I have not had any of those issues which makes me think there is something wrong with the shifter itself.
I am fully aware that you stated you have no error lights.
And you applied the simple test in post#6, correct?

Do you see the gear selector screen on the dash?

Registered
2000 E320
Discussion Starter #9
I am fully aware that you stated you have no error lights.
And you applied the simple test in post#6, correct?

Do you see the gear selector screen on the dash?
Yup, did the test. Held the brake pedal down, started the car and waited another 30 seconds with the pedal held down. Nothing happened. However, the instructions say perform the test when you have a BAS light on. So I'm a little confused by the point of the test.

The gear selector screen on the dash shows I'm in park.

Photo of your shifter console?
Is it PRND1234?

You have the electronic gear recognition switch on yours vs the manual (dummy gear) recognition switch.
What was the history this situation leading up to this issue?

Go into the 0-sticky's in this forum (it's in alphabetical order) and look for 'shift module', 'shifter...' and read thru them.
It sounds like you have an issue with your module and that has locked you out.
Possibly could be cleaned.
As you stated earlier, past spillage was possible, but you are not certain.

No codes, I would still check your TCU and connector as a precaution for any oil contamination.

mrboca could step-in for a deeper query here.

Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
Well, if you have the indications on the dashboard that shows correct gear selection (you said it shows P when you are in Park), and watch it for other gears as you shift the gear to R, N, D, and manually slap the stick to - and +. If all shows fine, I would say that the TRRS (Transmission Range Recognition Shifter module) is OK in the shifter, but the R/P lock solenoid is not working (either a mechanical issue, or the TRRS module is not receiving a signal from the brake switch to release the solenoid when brake pedal is pressed). For the latter case, I would check the reverse lights, when the gear is shifted to R, as the shifter allows the R/P solenoid to allow shifting to R, and then signals the Light Control Module (ICM) to turn the Reverse lights ON.

If no codes are present, it makes it more likely a mechanical issue. I would remove the shifter, and check it out.

Registered
2000 E320
Discussion Starter #14
Well, if you have the indications on the dashboard that shows correct gear selection (you said it shows P when you are in Park), and watch it for other gears as you shift the gear to R, N, D, and manually slap the stick to - and +. If all shows fine, I would say that the TRRS (Transmission Range Recognition Shifter module) is OK in the shifter, but the R/P lock solenoid is not working (either a mechanical issue, or the TRRS module is not receiving a signal from the brake switch to release the solenoid when brake pedal is pressed). For the latter case, I would check the reverse lights, when the gear is shifted to R, as the shifter allows the R/P solenoid to allow shifting to R, and then signals the Light Control Module (ICM) to turn the Reverse lights ON.

If no codes are present, it makes it more likely a mechanical issue. I would remove the shifter, and check it out.
I'm pulling the shifter right now. All gears are correctly indicated on the dash. Reverse lights are coming on when in reverse. Where is the lock solenoid located?

Registered
2000 E320
Discussion Starter #15
The gear shifter is out and the solenoid does not appear to be jammed or obstructed.

Registered
2000 E320
Discussion Starter #16
The gear shifter is out and the solenoid does not appear to be jammed or obstructed.
I tested the connector where the solenoid plugs in and i am not getting any voltage when i press on the brake. I also connected a 12v power supply to the solenoid directly and it actuates fine.

So, I'm back to the drawing board. I'm going to pop in a new brake light switch tomorrow and see if that fixes it.

Premium Member
You should test the voltage on pin 5 (15Ru) of the connector to the shifter (yellow/green wire) . It comes from the brake switch and it will have 12V, if the brake switch (s9/1) works, that is when you press the brake with the ignition switch is in pos 2.

The shifter is N15/5 in the diagram, and Z38 harness goes to ICM for reverse lights, LCP for passenger side mirror dip, and parktronic, if your car has one (I doubt it).

Attachments

Registered
2000 E320
Discussion Starter #19
The wire colors did not quite match with the document you sent me. But regardless I tested the voltage of all the pins and none of them changed when I pressed the brake pedal.

Premium Member
The wire colors did not quite match with the document you sent me. But regardless I tested the voltage of all the pins and none of them changed when I pressed the brake pedal.
Does your car have ESP ? It is 2000 E320 right ?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts