Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 S550
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 300se and the light bulb for the gear shift has gone out. Can anyone tell me how to replace it. I know the gear shift cover has to come off, but I'm not sure how to do it without breaking it.

·
Registered
12-Camel TT S600
1,794 Posts
u dont have to pull the cover.. just under the cover on the left side u can pull the holder out and replace the bulb.. i did mind like that

ohh u do have to remove the wood around the gear shifter

·
Registered
2007 S550
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. Since it's not too obvious how to remove the wood, or for that matter anything else, step by step instructions would help. Maybe even pics.

thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
1.Open up your ash tray and pull the inside black liner out.
2.You will see two screws under that remove those.
3.Pull the ash tray out and be carefull their are two wires connected to it. You will need to unclip those. Also put the gear selector in 2nd to give you room.
4.The little tray right below the ash tray should slide forward a bit and pop right up.
5. Then you should be able to get to the light bulb it is right under P, inside its own little holder. Autozone has the bulbs.

·
Registered
2007 S550
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, thanks for the quick response. One other question..., Does the gear shift knob screw off or is it held in place by a screw?

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,103 Posts
The gear shift know is itegral with the shaft and can't be removed. You can cut it off, but the best way to handle it is to buy a new gear shifter and replace your existing one.

A bit of a hassel to do. Just ask Vdubpower.[:)]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts