Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
500sl 1982 & 300sl 1990 (Euro)
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it is possible to unscrew the wood effect gear knob on my 500sl automatic?

I would like to replace it with a modern looking Momo knob (Momo M15511261115) I know that these just use rubber plugs that fit over the shaft but if i was to cut of the original wood knob there would be no room for the new one.

·
Registered
560SL,380SL,E350
4,344 Posts
As far as I know, the 107's had a one-piece shaft/knob, and the leather knob is integral. Replacements and aftermarket knobs are sold with the integral shaft. There was a company in the US that at one time sold adapters that let you screw conventional knobs onto the 107 shifter (performance products), but I don't see it in their catalog now.

I have an old shift knob/shaft that I've considered taking to a machine shop. The knob part was removed by the PO leaving a bumpy area where the leather part was originally.

·
Registered
560SL,380SL,E350
4,344 Posts
Keep in mind that you have a Euro car a little older than mine, which may subtly change these directions. So, this is how you do it on a 560SL:

0. Set the parking brake and shift to "N"
1. Remove the ashtray, exposing its mounting frame.
2. Remove the two screws directly behind (not below) the ashtray frame.
3. Remove the frame, and then the cigar lighter power connector. This is a very tight fit. Don't distort or damage your vinyl console while doing this.
4. There should be two screws exposed that were under the ashtray. Remove these.
5. There MAY be on your car two screws at the back of the wood console. My car has a hidden peg. Depending, slide the wooden part of the console back and up. The switch(es) may require loosening soon after pulling the wood back.
6. Disconnect the switches mounted to the wooden console.
7. The means to remove the shifter top should become obvious.

IMPORTANT

When reinstalling the wood console, do NOT overtighten the screws. This will lead to cracking.

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
Ah so. Except one problem.

My car is very much US-spec. Coulda been the car Bobby Ewing drove on Dallas! [8D]

However, the procedure is likely the same. Muchas gracias, amigo!

·
Premium Member
'91 560SEL, '88 560SL, '87 300SDL, '98 E320, '82 300TD..... '91 350SDL (RIP) totalled
92 Posts
gear shift removal

I would like to piggy back onto strife04's perfect instructions..It is not EXACTLY obvious once you get to the final removal stage..You sort of have to giggle(I like that word,giggle) the PRND32 plastic housing around a bit to get the wrench in after you pull the rubber boot up..Unlike the 123's which have 2 bolts, the W107 has 1 bolt to loosen, and if memory serves me correct, you will need a 15mm..Just give it a small turn (may be factory tight) and begin to unscrew..Be gentle in removing the shifter out of it's cave to not tear the rubber boot! Also, be prepared to have your handy swear manual close by as you attempt to get the shifter back into the socket, as it will snap to the right when you remove it and the curvature of the shaft is an absolute Bitch to get threaded..Have fun and cheers

·
Premium Member
'91 560SEL, '88 560SL, '87 300SDL, '98 E320, '82 300TD..... '91 350SDL (RIP) totalled
92 Posts
heh heh...you said knob.....anyway, it all starts with a slap and a tickle, then a jiggle and a giggle...followed by a wiggle...for peats sake, it IS late!

·
Registered
1985 380SL (107)
7 Posts
Gear shift knob removal

Keep in mind that you have a Euro car a little older than mine, which may subtly change these directions. So, this is how you do it on a 560SL:

3. Remove the frame, and then the cigar lighter power connector. This is a very tight fit. Don't distort or damage your vinyl console while doing this.
4. There should be two screws exposed that were under the ashtray. Remove these.
5. There MAY be on your car two screws at the back of the wood console. My car has a hidden peg. Depending, slide the wooden part of the console back and up. The switch(es) may require loosening soon after pulling the wood back.

IMPORTANT

When reinstalling the wood console, do NOT overtighten the screws. This will lead to cracking.
Can the hard rubber knob be cut off in pieces leaving just a bare shiftier?

·
Registered
1974 450SL, previously 1986 420SEL
206 Posts

IMPORTANT

There are a couple of posts that show pictures of step #3 . The electrical connector for the lighter is on the left side of the ashtray frame, so gently pry out the right side first.

·
Registered
380SL diesel
1,275 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.