Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 2150 king cab
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed the gear reduction starter in my 96 Dodge cummins. I'm also in the middle of installing a Holset turbo in my u1250. I've had to remove the SBU's starter to work on the exhaust. For kicks and giggles I tried fitting the old cummins starter into my SBU and it fit: the cummins starter has three bolt ears with the correct orientation and the starter fits upright. I also compared the nose length when the starter pinion is extended and it looks correct.

But there are two issues. One is that the starter face is thicker than the one on the original starter so I needed to source studs which were 10mm longer. The other issue is the starter pinion: the cummins starter uses a 13 tooth pinion and the om352 needs a 9 tooth pinion. It took sometime but I was able to source a replacement 9 tooth pinion that fits the cummins starter.

Since my SBU is a 12 volt truck, I can purchase a brand new starter at my local auto parts store with a lifetime warranty for under $200. I just need to complete the turbo install to make sure the starter works correctly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
U1000Ag
2,296 Posts
Fantastic bit of detective work !
When I looked for an alternator replacement some months ago, I was just stunned at the variation available from Mr Bush. It is mostly BS of course ! There is no compelling reason for having such a ridiculous number of variations, other than pure greed, vanity or stupidity. So, I am glad when people find unexpected or unpromoted cross-refernced replacements.

Good Job :thumbsup:

·
Registered
92 2150 king cab
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should know in about three weeks (the last of my turbo plumbing parts should arrive by then). If it works I may put these together as a kit since some of the parts require bulk purchase to keep the costs down. Price would be about $30 plus shipping.

·
Registered
92 2150 king cab
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This took a bit longer to verify but I finally got my Holset turbo, water to air intercooler and electric fan installed today.

The new starter works great! Spins the engine way faster than the old one.

I'll post again with the part numbers for the starter, studs and pinion. I've got a couple of extra sets of pinons and studs if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
1956 Unimog 401 Westfalia
100 Posts
You should also be able to find a 24 volt version of the same starter for the people with 24 volt trucks. The 6BT cummins is used in so many industrial 24 volt applications that I guarantee you'll find one.

·
Registered
'87 406
102 Posts
now you did it. Now I have to see if my spare cummins starter will fit on my 406. They look suspiciously alike.

·
Registered
92 2150 king cab
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I've got several more of these pinions if anyone wants them.

Also here's more information about the pinions:
The part number that I ordered was 54-82211 and came in a box from a manufacturer called WAI: WAI Global - Leading the Parts Needs of the Automotive, Heavy Duty, and Power Sports Aftermarket.

For: Denso 2.5KW OSGR Starters Used On: Kubota
Replaces: Denso 028099-3210 Lester No’s: 16651, 17359
Dim: 35.5mm Gear OD, 36mm

Here's a company out of Illinois with the pinion for $3.35 each:
http://www.justpartsinc.com/index.ph...roduct_id=4848

Next project is a Ford 3G 120 Amp alternator replacement, last piece of the puzzle is finding the right pulley, stay tuned...

Attachments

·
Registered
1975 Unimog 416 om352
24 Posts
I've got several more of these pinions if anyone wants them.

Also here's more information about the pinions:
The part number that I ordered was 54-82211 and came in a box from a manufacturer called WAI: WAI Global - Leading the Parts Needs of the Automotive, Heavy Duty, and Power Sports Aftermarket.

For: Denso 2.5KW OSGR Starters Used On: Kubota
Replaces: Denso 028099-3210 Lester No’s: 16651, 17359
Dim: 35.5mm Gear OD, 36mm

Here's a company out of Illinois with the pinion for $3.35 each:
http://www.justpartsinc.com/index.ph...roduct_id=4848

Next project is a Ford 3G 120 Amp alternator replacement, last piece of the puzzle is finding the right pulley, stay tuned...
Sorry I am not familiar with cummings starters. Can you post the part number for the starter you used with smaller pinion?

·
Registered
1975 Unimog 416 om352
24 Posts
Sorry I am not familiar with cummings starters. Can you post the part number for the starter you used with smaller pinion?
Found my self that these part numbers could be right and are used with Cummins 5.9 1994-2001 year engines.

CUMMINS 3604684RX
CUMMINS 3921682
CUMMINS 5016522AA

DENSO 280-0275
DELCO REMY 228000-2290
AS-PL S6070

I would appreciate if someone could verify these to be right?

In Europe only the AS-PL S6070 is easy to get as it is manufactured in Poland. I think this is the best alternative for my budget build :smile

·
Registered
1975 Unimog 416 om352
24 Posts
Have fitted this upgrade starter. I dont know what was the problem but this starter did not fit without excessive grinding of starter head casing. Had to grind so much that could see the starter bearing trough the case. Still the bearing first was in contact with the flywheel but it very quickly made room there and I suppose it is not touching anymore.

Starts great now!

Found my self that these part numbers could be right and are used with Cummins 5.9 1994-2001 year engines.

CUMMINS 3604684RX
CUMMINS 3921682
CUMMINS 5016522AA

DENSO 280-0275
DELCO REMY 228000-2290
AS-PL S6070

I would appreciate if someone could verify these to be right?

In Europe only the AS-PL S6070 is easy to get as it is manufactured in Poland. I think this is the best alternative for my budget build :smile

1 - 18 of 18 Posts