Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well now i delayed this for a year. lol I went to the dealer to pick up the differ fluid and they said that fluid is discontinued and they said buy 90 weight fluid and it should be good. now i have heard some of the fluids cause a whining sound. Any good oils anyone would recommend. i am thinking mobil 1 75w90. All i know is i need the fluid before December. Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
G-AMG has recommended Redline 85W90, but if you don't have any leaks you should be fine with the Mobil1 75W90. I put that in my W210 and it's been fine.

Some have recommended that if you have whine to go to the 75W140, but that would really be a last resort.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don't have a whine or leaks, i just wanted to do a fluid replacement. plus no company makes 85w90 anymore. i know 80w90 exists but no major company has it. i can get lubro moly 75w90, redline 75w90, mobil 1 75w90, lucas 80w90 or royal purple 75w90

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
6,543 Posts
We still have the 85 and 90 over here

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Okay after a long sleep i figured out what to do. I will custom order factory diff fluid from another dealer for $38 per quart. I just don't want to ruin my diff. I know mobil 1 75w90 is $14 a quart i heard 75w90 shears faster then 85w90

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
napa carries 85w90 hypoid gear oil, and it's like $9/qt. NAPA AUTO PARTS you will need 2 bottles since your differential takes 1.5qts.
but know that any gl-5 spec gear oil being it 80w90 or 75w90 will be perfectly fine for your differential. 85w90 meets gl-4 and not gl-5 and that's the reason it's hard to find it. mobil1 75w90 seems to be pretty popular, even has mb star on the bottle. but if spending $80 for fluid alone instead of $18 makes you sleep better at night than go for it. but know that your transmission won't be able to tell the difference between the 2 fluids, and probably mobil1 75w90 will be more shear resistant than the 85w90.

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I mean i just want which ever safer. I don't know squat diff fluid i would like to spend 20 rather then 80. As long as the fluid lasts one year and doesnt damage anything then i am happy. I just dont know which is best. Dealer said any w90 is good i always liked mobil 1 products

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
don't give it too much thought and just pick a known brand, your differential won't know the difference. it can be either 75/80/85w90 or even sae90 since you are in california.

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
good choice
thank you, you guys helped with the decision making :) btw what is the difference between gl5 and gl4? i am a couple noob when it comes to gear oil. every fluid is synthetic on my w140 i guess why not lol.

fluids done so far:
0w40 synthetic mobil 1 euro blend
mb new synthetic tranny fluid
new brake fluid
sls fluid
coolant

can you guys tell what else i am missing?

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yet another stupid question. lol are our w140s gl4 or gl5? i couldn't find the answer this time and i searched for a while

·
Registered
562 Posts
You will be very happy with any Mobil1 product. Mobil sponsored my scca and imsa race cars from '90 until '95. I used every product they made in road cars, race cars, off road trucks, motor cycles, boats, and even apba race boats through the years.

Zero failures and every engine and gearbox/ differential spectral test came back clean.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
i think i used 7590

valvoline, redline, royal purple all make excellent gear oils

not so much motor oils though

anyway i like valvoline best for price v value sort of balance

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks guys. i am going to change during the next oil change. ISS i remember you posted up a DIY on the accumulators. does your suspension make a sound when raising up the car? also with the redline gear oil how frequently do you change it?

so far in my house i have these gear oils i bought all of these for the price of one quart of OEM fluid.
80w90 valvoline durablend(2 bottles)
80w90 valvoline regular (2 bottles)
75w90 mobil 1 synthetic (2 bottles)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts