Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Recently replaced my transmission with another second hand one from a E320 imported from Germany. Replacement tranny was directly installed with new Transmission connector plug and that was about all we did to it.

Gear shifts are smooth, but not always perfect.

And I recently was able to get the Transmission Dipstick. Now every time I go for a long and fast drive I measure the level at the end, with engine running and in Park.

As you can see from the pics the level of gear oil and color. Car was in Park, engine running. There was no burnt smell as far as I could tell.

The level is constant after driving 50-60 miles at 80 MPH, So far I have not been able to get a laser temp. Gauge to measure actual tranny fluid temperature.

Questions:

1. Should I consider trying to top up the tranny fluid with original 5-speed fluid (236.10)?2.
2. Anything to assume from the color?

Feedback greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Faisal

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just on my way to buy some ATF fluid... I'm thinking I will add 200 ml at a time and go for a drive... just to make sure i dont over do it.

thanks for the feedback on the color... I was expecting to see red color so kinda freaked out at first ... looks so damn similar to engine oil color when new :(

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
faisalm300se,

+1 on Kajtek1 comment about level.

I agree that the color is not what I would expect, but a recent thread talked about the color as being just a dye. Perhaps in Germany they do not formulate their lubricants with dye.

Skippy

·
Registered
77 Posts
The trans fluid always looks cleaner on the dip stick. If you really want to know the condition of the trans fluid, drop the pan and see how much sediment is left on the bottom of the pan. Add the pan magnet if you don't already have one. Also take the trans filter apart to inspect for any metal particles and replace with a new trans filter.

Of course this will involve changing the trans fluid. Drain the torque converter and you will need about 8 liters of trans fluid.

From the looks of it you are close to 1 liter low on trans fluid.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought a Litre of 236.10(red color)... added 150-200 ml through the tube. Drove for an hour and checked levels. Now the level is exactly at first line for the ~80~ Degrees range. I could add a little more or is that enough?

Drive is smoother by a small margin... I don't feel the small lunges the car would make while shifting gears anymore.

thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I bought a Litre of 236.10(red color)... added 150-200 ml through the tube. Drove for an hour and checked levels. Now the level is exactly at first line for the ~80~ Degrees range. I could add a little more or is that enough?

Drive is smoother by a small margin... I don't feel the small lunges the car would make while shifting gears anymore.

thanks for the help guys.
The preference is to slowly bring it up to the upper 80 Deg. C mark.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'll take that "cool" 78 anytime in November. I think an hour drive should definately bring the temp to 80c, I would check few more times after regular traffic driving.
So, they still have the 236.10 there?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup ... local auto parts store in my town just brought a box or two of the stuff as I walked in :).... i Guess I should stock up while I can... they were 35 AED ( Approx 10 $ ) for a litre

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update on gear oil

Ok so I was going a little fast (120 mph ) on this new road going through the mountains, they have not gotten to installing radars as of yet.

Btw the car kinda topped out at 120-125 mph, maybe the elevation of the road/ clogged fuel filter?

After coming back from that I was seeing pools of tranny fluid everywhere I parked. I obviously had some spare fluid to compensate till I got to my mechanic. It seemed that the kick down switch as seen below kinda snapped, causing the leak. Really small item with rubber and a cable clip that goes back and forth, easily replaced.

Overview after bottom pan removed (2.5 litres of fluid as well followed, I think the remaining .5 Ltrs expected had leaked out)

What the fluid looked like (basically like de-carbonated coca cola, this is'nt the actual fluid from my car but it looked the same)

Pan and gasket (no particles at all to be see, Magnet added right then)

Also old fuel filter (does'nt seem original? anyways replaced with an original one now):

Anyways, due to the head mechanic not being around, I basically supervised the whole damn thing... unfortunately I did not have internet access so I could refer to my notes (read that as this awesome forum :) )... so I basically managed to save my tranny from being destroyed in two ways :

1. The guys collected the old fluid and were planning on re-using the mud-slide in the tranny... wtf?
2. When I said f&^k no to that, they managed to understand and brought some new fluid, which after I checked turned out to be the wrong kind (236.14)... so after a bit of difficult conversation I had them sort out and bring 2 litres of 236.10, I already had 1 litre with me for back up and their damn reference.

Since I had my car already opened up I could not go and get a Tranny filter (I was told they would not be opening the pan for this, but as it turned out they needed to so as to get the other broken half of the switch out.)

So with the tranny filter from before, pan with old gasket fitted back, 2.8 Liters put in and away I go for a test drive. Gears are shifting nicely... so I come back after some light driving to see if any leaks have sprung... zero leaks... looks like a good job so far!

I'm going to do a tranny reset and see if it helps... for now going to take it easy and keep checking for leaks.

The end/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts