Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have detail instructions and/or pics of the removal. i know theres a nut to get to, and ive heard its a job, but if anyone has info, thanks

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,110 Posts
Here is a short description of the procedure. I'll see if I can find some pictures on my home PC.

1. Flip out the ashtray and remove the bin. Below it there should be two Philips screws visible. Remove those and slide the ashtray module out.
2. Remove the coin tray. You probably don't have to unplug the switches, but if you do make sure you take note of what cables goes where.
3. Slide the center console wood forward (only about 1/2") and lift it up. Disconnect all the cables from their switches, make sure you note what goes where. Then remove the wood entirely.
4. Lift the gear shift gate and surround. Where the gear lever shaft is screwed in there is a 15mm nut ensuring against accidental loosening of the gear lever. Loosen this nut and unscrew the gear lever.

Note: There is a spring forcing the gear lever to the left. When the gear lever is out of its slot, the brace with the slot will flip to the left. When you put the new gear lever in place, you need something to straighten the slot and hold it in place before you can insert the new gear lever.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks appreciate it,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts