Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
W126 500 SEL 1985
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I want to change standard gear knob for really nice wood one at my 500 sel '85.
I moved out ashtray, coin tray and wooden panel with windows switches.
I find in other post next thing which should I do is remove top of plastic cube, this one where you can see gears name P D R ..... but I can't remove it, it looks like it's one part and only one way to remove it is unscrew screws on the bottom where accesses is really hard. I can't find any screws or anything which can help me to remove top of plastic cube. If anyone knows what's going on, pleas help me cause I'm going crazy with this, I spend 3 days w/our any results. :mad::crybaby2:
I can send a picture if it's necessary to understood my problem.
Thank you.

·
Registered
83 500SEC, 87 300D, 92 190E 2.6, 02 C32, 02 C32T, 03 C320T4, 03 E55, 05 CDI, 06 CDI
2,601 Posts
Remove the 4 10mm bolts and lift. Under it you will find a 13mm locknut on the shifter, undo it and unscrew the lever.

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
49 Posts
If your shifter assembly is the same as mine - I know exactly how you feel - I had the same problem trying to get the plastic "cube" part out. Go to the front of the "cube" - toward the front of the car. There are a couple of "tabs" on each corner that slide out unlocking the part. Be gentle when removing it as there is a connection at the back as well.

In my opinion finding and opening the tabs is the key to getting it out.

Let us know how you make out! Good luck.

Paul

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe - RIP
10,029 Posts
If your shifter assembly is the same as mine - I know exactly how you feel - I had the same problem trying to get the plastic "cube" part out. Go to the front of the "cube" - toward the front of the car. There are a couple of "tabs" on each corner that slide out unlocking the part. Be gentle when removing it as there is a connection at the back as well.

In my opinion finding and opening the tabs is the key to getting it out.

Let us know how you make out! Good luck.

Paul
You are more on the mark. Once you get the wood off there are two tabs in the front and two in the rear. Lift on the tabs and remove the top plate and the ones under it. Then you need a 15 MM open end wrench. Crack open the nut and then you can unscrew the shifter knob. I have replaced several including my own, Cascade's, Aroundthescenes, and I think I did Mapearso's too. I also have like 5 of them here in leather out of 560's to replace the plastic ones in the lower model cars along with the matching leather wheels.

·
Registered
W126 500 SEL 1985
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you

I'm really appreciate so many answers. I'll try to use your help asap, but this weeks come very busy for me, so I'll try to remove my knob in next weekend. Hope to finally do it, if not I'll show a picture to better explain.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
48,627 Posts
I'm really appreciate so many answers. I'll try to use your help asap, but this weeks come very busy for me, so I'll try to remove my knob in next weekend. Hope to finally do it, if not I'll show a picture to better explain.
Welcome to the forum.
Please click 'User CP' on the top toolbar and complete your profile with the car mod and location, to make it easier to answer your posts.

The forum archive has a wealth of information available at your finger tips.
The search function accepts 2 words of at least 3 letters.
For all available resources / forum features / 'how to' navigate the forum etc, please make sure to carefully read the 'Welcome to the Forum' announcement / tutorial sticky on top of the W126 page.
Cheers

·
Registered
W126 500 SEL 1985
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agrhgrgghhhh

Agrhgrgghhhh.
I'm so angry.
I can't move this stupid knob. I can't find anything to move top of cube, because it's one solid part.
I also can't move 4 screws, I unscrew it, but I can't move cube because some plastic part ob both sides of cube block it.
I place pictures (just click on picture to enlarge it).
I really don't know what to do. I try to remove everything around it, I don't know name of it. Everything means hole "tunnel" together with radio and a/c panel, I remove bottom part but dashboard still holds top of it (do I have to remove dashboard too?).
I spend a lot of time on it without any result, my wooden knob is beautifully an I really want to install it, but don't want to destroy my interior.
I hope someone can take a look at picture a explain me what to do now.
Thank you very much.

·
Registered
'84 500 SEC Euro 040 black Lorinser 2005 sl500
2,516 Posts
Yours being a gen I w126 you will need to have the black box come out just as johnhef has mentioned. The top of the black box will not come off while it is on the car. To get at the (4) 10mm bolts it is easiest to use a 1/4 inch drive ratchet with a long 1/4 inch extension (it is very slim and able to get to the bolts without prying too hard on the sides of the vent tubes). Angle in the extension from the front, seat the socket over the bolt head then pull back on the wrench to raise it straight up and down. This will put minimal pressure on the vent tubes.

Do the reverse to get at the 2 back 10mm bolts. Once all four bolts are removed, move the black box forward while the gear selector is in park. Wrestle around with it pulling up and forward on the back part of the box till it slips up between the vent tubes. Once the box is up you will see the set nut. just loosen it until you can start to unscrew the shifter rod. It will wiggle back and forth while unscrewing since the rod is offset. Keep unscrewing it (about 10-12 rotations to unscrew it all the way).

The whole box will be free with the shifter when it is undone. Be aware that the box has a flat strap electrical wire attached to it so do not try to pull the black box more than a foot from it's original position. You will see it when you get the black box out from between the vent tubes. Remove the set nut completely from the shifter then slide the shifter up out of the rubber boot of the black box. Put the new shifter rod in through the rubber boot then screw on the set nut pretty far since you don't want it to inhibit the ability to screw on the new shifter to the linkage.

Now prepare to get frustrated. Put the shift linkage in "N" or "3" so that the linkage is in the middle and straight up and down. You will need any long bladed screw driver to help position the new shifter into the linkage. The linkage is spring loaded to push itself to the left at all times. To start the new shifter into the linkage, hold the linkage straight up and down (away from it's left "at rest" position).

Once the shift rod gets started, it screws in very easily. Screw it in all the way, then back it out until it lines up the way you want it. Tighten the set nut. Put some force on the black box to get it back in between the 2 vent tubes and line it up with the bolt holes. It is easiest to use a 10mm magnetized nut starter to start the 4 10mm nuts back into the black box. Pretty much done when you get the 4 10mm bolts back in to hold the black box in.

I am not saying this is the only way to change the shifter, but it is the only way that has worked for me 3 different times I have done it on gen I w126's.

Hope it helps,

Greg

ps You must have a shifter that is made for your gen I w126. If you get a later version, the bend will be wrong on the shifter rod and will not line up with the gear indicater. Some members have tried to bend the rod or adjust it to make it "work" on the wrong year of car. Don't do that....it just doesn't have a happy ending. Just make sure it is for your year and not a late model 89-91.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.