Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
'91 U1250 '02 U500NA
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I can call it disaster.
It's my truck, it's rear axle driver's side.
I'm alive, nobody's hurt.
Where do I start?
gear hub.jpg gear hub 2.jpg

·
Registered
'91 U1250 '02 U500NA
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think so.
There was a big leak right after it happened, and then I got quite a puddle of oil on garage floor.

·
Registered
4Sale: 230G, U1200 Ag, 1017A, lots of MB cars, Volvo c303, 416 raildoka, LR D110 TDi
1,217 Posts
You basically need every piece that goes inside the portal housing, and the portal housing itself. With that damage, both gears and all of the bearings are junk, just count on that. The only real question is wether there was any damage to the axle shaft, and that will require the portal assembly to be removed for inspection... if the portal did not lock up and you have the newer axle shaft, you should be ok, but on the other hand I have seen them break axle shafts in conjunction with a portal failure.

FWIW that is the ball bearings on the upper drive gear that is poking through the bottom of the portal housing, and it is not that uncommon of a failure.

Cheers,
Ben

·
Registered
4Sale: 230G, U1200 Ag, 1017A, lots of MB cars, Volvo c303, 416 raildoka, LR D110 TDi
1,217 Posts
If it is the 3 piece axle design, I should have a portal housing, and I might have the gears new or used depending on the gear ratio and axle version... if you PM me the gear ratio and axle numbers I can check it out for you.

Cheers,
Ben

·
Registered
1957 Unimog 30, 1999 E320, 2004 E320
352 Posts
Not sure if this helps you or not, but this Unimog is in BC somewhere, I have no idea who the owner is but he's still alive and walked away from the accident.

From the looks of things I would say the only part that would be worth salvaging is the rear axle and maybe the passenger front portal box.

Maybe one of the BC guys recognize the truck and can hook you up with the owner and you can figure out if anything can be swapped around.

Jason

Attachments

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,265 Posts
Not sure if this helps you or not, but this Unimog is in BC somewhere, I have no idea who the owner is but he's still alive and walked away from the accident.

From the looks of things I would say the only part that would be worth salvaging is the rear axle and maybe the passenger front portal box.

Maybe one of the BC guys recognize the truck and can hook you up with the owner and you can figure out if anything can be swapped around.

Jason
Um...wow....I'll take the snorkel ;)

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
9,589 Posts
Glad you are OK- hate to see that carnage.
What were the circumstances ? How Fast were you going ?

·
Registered
'91 U1250 '02 U500NA
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Same truck in happier times, I think.
Truktor,
that's the doka I was thinking about.
It was imported by Red Cougar Ent. as well.
There is that U1700, SDO is swapping cabs, that also got to Canada by RC.
Hmmm, is it just coincidence, or there is more to it.

I was driving 50km/h and suddenly boom!!, the left wheel locked and truck started to slide sideways.
Luckily nobody was close.

·
Registered
'91 U1250 '02 U500NA
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, the numbers on the portal housing :
424 331
00 05

TV

and the picture of the axle:
rear axle.jpg

·
Registered
ex-moglet u1700 (ex U1300L)
472 Posts
Crikey! Glad you're OK.

I saw a rear hub badly lunched earlier this year after aparently towing a big trailer off road, I'm not sure of the specifics. All bits replaced. Taken on a short test drive and the diff ate itself. Half shafts were fine though.

:(

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,857 Posts
From the angle shown, I'd think that DOKA cab Might be salvageable..
Unless I'm reading it wrong... the smashed up Doka is NOT the one we are discussing about hub FAIL. If that is the case lets keep the discussion about the smashed up one somewhere else. It's already getting folk confused leading some to think the smashed one and the failed hub are one in the same Mog.

·
Registered
'91 U1250 '02 U500NA
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If it is the 3 piece axle design, I should have a portal housing, and I might have the gears new or used depending on the gear ratio and axle version... if you PM me the gear ratio and axle numbers I can check it out for you.

Cheers,
Ben
PM sent

1 - 20 of 156 Posts