Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
ML430, 2000, Silver
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked into some installation guide..but..I couldn't start to install because of the first step.

The problem is Plastic Rock guard. Where are 8 plastic nuts to take out?

And If I find them, Do I need any tools? or just Can I remove it by hands ?

·
Registered
99 ML430
195 Posts
Just went through this on the weekend when I put mine on... plastic nuts run alond the bottom of the guard... they are the black lil round flush nuts... they just pop out. Then there is a couple of clips... just be gentle, if U don't feel comfortable doin it... only cost me $75 at shop to do... pretty straight forward for them as they got a hoist... a lil harder when your layin on the ground and trying to do it.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
20,034 Posts
You have to remove the plastic rock guard from underneath the vehicle. It covers the area between the frame and the bottom edge of the body. With it in place, it obstructs access to the bolt points where the nerf bar supports are to be mounted. If you are having problems dealing with removing that part, then I strongly suggest you get some assistance installing your nerf bars because bolting them on can be a real PITA. There’s not a lot of room to work and you have to do some of it by touch instead of sight. I consider myself very much mechanically capable and it took me almost two hours.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
ML430, 2000, Silver
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys..I will try again..:)

IF I can't, Body shop can do it ? just 75$ cost?

Dealer cost me higer price than 75$.. So, I didn't go to dealer

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
20,034 Posts
You will likely pay by the hour. Most MBZ dealers charge at least $75 per hour (I think mine is $87.50) and base the charge not on the actual time, but the time published by MBZ as to how long it “should� take. If you could find a body shop or mechanic that charges less, say $35-$0 per hour, then you are probably in the $75 range. I would suggest finding a friend that is mechanically-inclined and then maybe all it will cost you is the price of a six-pack. [:)]

- RODNEY

·
Registered
02 ML320, 96 C220
561 Posts
You should do it yourself, it's quite easy actually.
Once you get it done one side, the other side is cake, it'll take no longer then 30 mins.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts