Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Mercedes fans!
I got a nice 420SEL that's in very good mechanical condition but has some electrical problems. I went home to the family during christmas so I lent the car to some relatives. And now the temperature, gas and speed gauge doesn't work. It apparently happened at a stop light, the gauges were kind of jumping up and down and then they just fell down.

I've searched the forum but didn't find any information. Can it be some problem with dodgy wiring?

I have some problems with the windscreen wipers, electrical windows and seats so I'm guessing that this might be related.
Thanks in advance
/Erik

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Erik, check the fuses first. They can look good but fall apart when you remove them. Many of us have replaced the original ones (aluminum) with copper, which can be purchased from Mercedessource or Jonathan on this forum. I believe the one for the gauges is #15.

Regards, Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I actually got some new ones right before I left for christmas. I'll replace all of them in a day or so. When I cleaned off the connector for the fuse to the power windows and such they started working. But they might have gotten dirty again. I guess I should remove all fuses and clean the entire thing out.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Here's a good war story...

I lost my gauges and speedo in the SD and replaced the fuse just to have it blow again later in the day. Went two days like this and whipped out the electrical diagram showing how this circuit also feeds the turn signals. Sure enough I used a left turn signal and blew the fuse. Unplugged the front and rear turns and isolated it to the rear. There I found where a working bulb broke from it's metal base and almost twisted to a short was the cause of the problem. True story :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice!
I guess Ill have to do a complete rundown of all the electronics in the car. Or at least the major electrical functions. Im pretty good with electronics but I've never really tinkered around with the electronics in cars that much. Is there anything I should be wary of? I checked out the DIY section but couldn't find any tips for car electronics. I guess I should search a little bit further.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Might want to get the service CDs, they have the various electrical schematics and such in there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts