Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Gauges Faces

12K views 81 replies 20 participants last post by  Stewpot97 
#1 ·
I bought gauge face covers for the '84 500SL AMG. The cluster has a black/white ring around the area where the gauge face makes contact. This ring is removable (easy on an early cluster). Here are three pictures. One is the original with the white ring . Next is with the white paint on the ring removed showing just black. The other one is with the ring painted white to match the gauge face.

Thoughts?

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
For what little it's worth, I like #3.

What are the gage faces made of? Are they screen print (I assume?) I'd like to see someone make a set of porcelain or enamel, like some of the vintage ultra high end cars used to have. An incomparable look.

#19 ·
The seller is working on his inventory of different style faces. Speedo faces are mounted differently on '71-'80? models. Three outer screws instead of the two inner screws. I sent him faces for Early U.S. model with only MPH shown and Tach. with no clock. Also sent the face with the inner screws mounds and different cut outs.

#20 ·
Making a little progress. Polishing the clear plastic for the cluster. I am going to use the outer black fascia from the 280 because it doesn't have the Unleaded Fuel only sticker that was attached to the 500 when it was usifuckated. No longer needed because the exhaust has been restored to original. The sticker can't be removed with out leaving traces.

#31 ·
Mothers headlight restorer kit. Had it sitting around so thought I would try it. Works pretty good hand rubbing with rag. Also has a buffing thing to use on a cordless drill. Experimented with the small pads that are recommended for deep scratches but they scratched worse than the scratches even on the finest one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.