Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought gauge face covers for the '84 500SL AMG. The cluster has a black/white ring around the area where the gauge face makes contact. This ring is removable (easy on an early cluster). Here are three pictures. One is the original with the white ring . Next is with the white paint on the ring removed showing just black. The other one is with the ring painted white to match the gauge face.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Took a closer look in brighter light and had to edit the original post. The ring is white. I had described it as silver.

Also thinking about painting the silver center caps white.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
#1 is the easiest. It is stock.
Working on the needle now. Trying to get a game plan of what I want to changed and not change.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
For what little it's worth, I like #3.

What are the gage faces made of? Are they screen print (I assume?) I'd like to see someone make a set of porcelain or enamel, like some of the vintage ultra high end cars used to have. An incomparable look.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are laminated. Don't know. Seller posted on PP they are vinyl but HP is on the back of the inner piece.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope. No poll. Just thoughts, opinions and the occasional insult.:D

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The seller is working on his inventory of different style faces. Speedo faces are mounted differently on '71-'80? models. Three outer screws instead of the two inner screws. I sent him faces for Early U.S. model with only MPH shown and Tach. with no clock. Also sent the face with the inner screws mounds and different cut outs.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Making a little progress. Polishing the clear plastic for the cluster. I am going to use the outer black fascia from the 280 because it doesn't have the Unleaded Fuel only sticker that was attached to the 500 when it was usifuckated. No longer needed because the exhaust has been restored to original. The sticker can't be removed with out leaving traces.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts