Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1984 190d
whenever the battery is connected i get most of the gauge cluster warning lights on with the key on or off:mad:. Then when i start it all the lights go out. When shut off again lights come back on. Anyone have a idea what might be causing this? grounds seem find unless im missing one. Should the main gauge cluster plug have power going to it at all times with the key off? two pins have power as long as the battery is connected.

·
Registered
344 Posts
You should have no power going to instrument cluster when ignition switch is off

Sounds like problem at your ignition switch, it is not disconnecting +12V when the key is turned off. Have you ever serviced your ignition switch or replaced your ignition key barrel?

·
Registered
344 Posts
That's the part, I suggest you test your ignition switch first to make sure that is in fact the source of the problem

Be sure all your grounds are clean and secure, fuses are good, and any other obvious things that could have caused the problem, like a new radio, alarm, etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just put a like new fusebox in because the old one got wet. I thought most the problems were because of it but apparently there not. Another thing that is odd when I start it and its running the lights go out. Its only with the car off the lights stay on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does anyone have a wiring diagram for the gauge cluster main plug. im trying to figure out what each pin does and weather or not it should have power to it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
anyone have the gauge cluster wiring for a 1984 190d. the wire colirs seem to be different from as the diagrams i can find

these wires(last picture) have power whenever battery is connected and not sure if they should

1 - 11 of 11 Posts