Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone. I own a 1992 300SL-24V

Im currently experienceing a problem with the gauge cluster. It began with the fuel gauge being lighted up and always staying on empty, even with a full tank of petrol. Drove the car around for a couple of days everytinhg was ok.

However, a few days later, i leave my car on idle for around 10 mins and when i get back, the entire gauge cluster is lighted up except for the check engine light and SRS..and all the gaugess are dead.

the only one working is the temp gauge. I am at a loss to explain all this...

I also lost the interior lights (the ones that light up when you turn on park light function) and also the soft top function!!

the car still runs fine however.

I hope you guys can help..please

-Carlos

·
Outstanding Contributor
'03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
4,236 Posts
Assuming you checked all of your fuses in the main fuse box, then you probably have a defective instrument cluster. Looks like these people fix them for a very reasonable price: http://www.mrwhizard.com/.

Your soft top is inoperable because it is not getting the vehicle speed signal from the cluster. If you read your top diagnostic codes and clear them, I believe the system will work again until the next time you drive the car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply! I'll try to find a replacement cluster asap.

Funny thought though since the last owner already changed the cluster from analog to the updated digital odometer one less then two years ago. I just cant think why such a new item would fail. Any opinion on this?

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
New MB stuff is crap...that's about my only explanation!

Jonathan

·
Registered
SL 600
45 Posts
If you get stuck, I'll be listing a complete cluster on eBay soon. It's from a 1998 SL 600 with 62K on it, obviously that figure can be changed!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts