Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 E500
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gasoline Additives??

The mechanic at MB, told me yesterday that the MB engines are very particular on the type of fuel is used and we must always use the highest octane premium gaslonie. In Hawaii that would be 92 octane. He also recommended that I pour in some type of fuel additive/cleaner once a year. Has anyone else done this? I found it strange that a dealer mechanic would suggest pouring in aftermarket additives to the fuel. Anyway, what would you guys recommend to use?

I'm also assuming Oil additives would not be good, but has anyone added oil additives as well?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
19 Posts
Red Line SL1

I have run Red Line SL1 in all of my gas cars for years. Check out their web site. Their additive is recommended by BMW as well as several others.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Someone posted on another thread recently that MB now has 2 recommended gasoline additives: one is Chevron Techron Concentrate and the other one (MB brand of some kind) you can buy from the dealer.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
1,476 Posts
Now why would anybody run gasoline in a Mercedes! :D

Oil additive, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read and understand your OWNERS MANUAL! Your engine calls for MB Sheet 229.5 or MB 229.51 specification oils ONLY! Those oil specifications ENSURE that the oils that meet those specs have everything to keep your engine running PERFECTLY for the design life of your engine.

To be clearer, NEVER EVER add ANY oil additive OF ANY TYPE to ANY MERCEDES ENGINE...EVER :D

Mobil 1 0w40
Elf Full-Tech 0w30

The odometer below is what happens when you follow the owners manual EXACTLY and in conjunction with the FSS systems (16,000 miles average between oil changes since 2005).

LOL
DB

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
I would not add oil additives to mine either.

·
Registered
2003 E500
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Yea I didn't think Oil additives would be good and am glad I didn't add anything. I did go ahead and add the Chevron Techron Fuel additive today though. It won't hurt to clean the injectors, etc, right?

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,116 Posts
hawaiiannights808 said:
I found it strange that a dealer mechanic would suggest pouring in aftermarket additives to the fuel.
If it's BG Products stuff, it's because that company provides "prizes" to mechanics that sell it.

No gasoline additives required if you use top tier gasoline.
Top Tier Gasoline

·
Registered
06' E320CDI, 88' BMW M5, 83' 300D, 94' Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon
94 Posts
Kent,
Just curious, do you use any diesl additive on your 06' E320 CDI?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Power Service Diesel Kleen with Cetane Boost.

The additive has an emulsifier which prevents free water from forming in the fuel. A reduction in free water greatly reduces the possibility of bacteria from growing in the fuel system.

The added lubricity eliminates all concerns of fuel system wear. 2-4oz per tank will improve your fuels lubricity to better than Bosch's recomended level of 400 HFFR vs the ULSD spec of 520 HFFR.

DB

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Standyne finally has a Cetane improver, Cetane in the US is lacking...still. The PS bumps you up as much as 6 points in addition to the other benefits and from the looks of it 5 points with the Stanadyne.

A 32oz bottle of PS is around $5.00 I'd venture to guess Stanadyne is a bit more.

DB

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI
92 Posts
drivbiwire said:
Power Service Diesel Kleen with Cetane Boost.

The additive has an emulsifier which prevents free water from forming in the fuel. A reduction in free water greatly reduces the possibility of bacteria from growing in the fuel system.

The added lubricity eliminates all concerns of fuel system wear. 2-4oz per tank will improve your fuels lubricity to better than Bosch's recomended level of 400 HFFR vs the ULSD spec of 520 HFFR.

DB
Whoa!

Please steer us to the scientific data provided by an independent properly run double-blind study.

Even the companies that sell the stuff don't provide this data. I doubt it is anything other than "faith" in the additive.

One ad by another "lubricity improver" actually had PS decreasing (TDIClub Forums - View Single Post - are additives to fuel necessary???) the standard lubricity while comparing it to its own and others.

Hard to believe that people put small quantities of "additives" in from bottles that are mostly made up of diesel fuel anyway, with an even smaller amount of unlisted active ingredient(s) that may or not be compatible with the base stock and additive already put in by the fuel supplier.

PL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts