Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 GL450
13,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never had this problem before but this started during the long weekend.

Went to DC and filled up there. My mind was somewhere else and for some reason, when the pump cut off, I squeezed the pump handle again and some gas sprayed out. Yeah, I think I overfilled it. This happened on Saturday evening.

On Sunday morning, I noticed that there was strong smell in the interior. Opened the windows and let it air out.

On Monday morning, I opened up the door, again, there was gasoline smell. I thought it may be because of my overfill. No problem because I was about to make a 250 mile trip and gas would be used up.
Before the trip, I opened the trunk and smelled gasoline inside the trunk. Didn't remove the whole cover in front of the tank, however I peeled the sides and stuck my nose in there and yes, it did smell like gasoline there.

Today, on Tuesday, open the car door and again, smell of gas.

My Questions: What is going on here? What do I do? Where do I check? What things to check? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
It sounds like your top off is to blame and you probably got fuel into the vapor recovery canister. Given time it should evaporate but there are also several posts I've seen that recommend replacing the canister. Good luck.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,727 Posts
I've been toping off my tanks with 5-6 nozzle clicks and never had a problem.
I know it is not advised on gasoline tanks, but I did it anyway.
At this point CR the smell might be residual. We had skunk spraying on my backyard a week ago and the cars still hold the smell inside.
To start check if you fuel door drain goes under the car, or maybe the tubing got pulled out inside the trunk? Pour some water in there and check where it drips.
If that comes good, check for any visual fuel marks under the trunk covers.

·
Registered
12 GL450
13,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, thanks for the replies.

Plan of action: Open the windows and trunk and let it air out and see if the gasoline smell returns or not. Starting with the simplest. I've had a spare fuel filter in my trunk for 2 years and will need to find time to replace it. Kajtek, I'll check the fuel drain line.

·
Registered
12 GL450
13,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE:

So yesterday I opened the windows and trunk and let it air out. This morning was only very faint smell, almost none. Will air it out for the next couple of days and see how it goes.

·
Registered
36,727 Posts
I don't buy "good endings" without finding the source nor solution for the problem.
Just because you don't see problem now, doesn't mean it will not come back with next topping off.

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
>>I don't buy "good endings" without finding the source nor solution for the problem.

I think so. The next fill up will tell.
I had the pump overrun once or twice. I latched the pump's trigger so it would fill without my hand holding the trigger. I went inside to get a quick snack. The pump malfunctioned, it did not stop at full. When I came out, fuel was all over the ground. It must have been up to a gallon spilled. However, no fuel smell at all inside car afterwards.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
mbvis, that happened to me with another car, one that does not have a vapor recovery canister. Anyway, I still use that station and I never latch the fuel nozzle on the MB. I think Cancer_Researcher might have learned a valuable lesson and was probably lucky with this experience.

·
Registered
98 E300
20 Posts
A little humor to bring a smile

I heard this story when travelling through Oregon. One of the few states where it is against the law to fill your own car.

There was a lady that was filling her own car and the pump and it didn't kick off and splashed gas all over her sweater. She finished the fill up and got into the car and lit up a cigarette. Her sweater immediately burst into flames. She panicked and stuck her arm out the window to blow out the flames and was distracted with the fire and was weaving all over.

A police officer saw this and pulled her over. She immediately jumped out of the car with her arm still on fire.

He drew his gun and shot her.

At the trial he claimed self defense.

Are you ready for this?

Because she was waving a fire arm at him!!!!!

·
Registered
36,727 Posts
The black humor is driving a diesel sedan in states where you can not fill up yourself. I stopped attendants from filling up with gas in Oregon as well on East Cost, what I remember New Jersey (?)

·
Registered
12 GL450
13,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't buy "good endings" without finding the source nor solution for the problem.
Just because you don't see problem now, doesn't mean it will not come back with next topping off.
True Kajtek. I'll definitely be checking that fuel drain line as soon as I can find some time. Maybe this weekend. I'm hoping this is the culprit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts