Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a slight gasoline odor under the hood of my 420SEL which is quite strong when I use the heater or defroster. I don't see any obvious signs of a leak, but clearly there is one. What do you think the mostly likely causes would be in doing a search? Is there a tool that helps in 'sniffing' out where the problem is?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
If there is no obvious leakage at any of the connections (fuel distributor, injectors, etc) I'd suspect the EHA. It has rubber o-rings that go bad with age.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If there is no obvious leakage at any of the connections (fuel distributor, injectors, etc) I'd suspect the EHA. It has rubber o-rings that go bad with age.
Thanks markusfmeyer... but, I don't know what a EHA is. Could you explain what that is and where it's located? Is it something I can replace or should it go in for the repair?

Thank-you...

·
66,894 Posts
Another source could be your fuel pressure regulator leaking through it's vacuum line. That happens when its diaphragm fails. Gasoline will be sucked right back in the breather hose.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The search function is helpful here....

Here's one sample post that should help:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1204086-purpose-eha-valve.html
Thanks markusfmeyer; I sometimes have a slight hard-starting problem, so maybe you have me headed in the right direction... thanks again!

On edit: at first, found nothing in this area but letting the motor run, sure enough, saw a little seepage at the top of the E.H.A. Ouch! $300 to replace the valve, though it's only a couple of dollars to replace the 'O' rings... guess I'll start with that first.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
O.K, got the rubber 'O' rings from my local dealer, more expensive for the part but no shipping fee, so less expensive overall.

Very easy procedure to replace those seals; took me no more than 15 minutes from start to finish. Ran the motor for a few and didn't see any seepage at the top of the EHA, though I have to saw the rings that I pulled out sure looked okay; no tears, cuts, seemed pliable... I'll know in a day or so when driving it if that solved the issue...

Thanks all to those that posted; probably saved myself $65 by doing it myself...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts