Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompresser Sport Coupe, 6-speed, leather, pano roof
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let me say thank you for having this forum. Ive never owned a benz before, but I certainly have been learning a lot!

I recently purchased a 2002 C230K coupe and love the way it drives. I filled the gas tank and went to work, only to be told my a coworker that it was leaking fuel. I thought it might be a rotted hose and took it to a local shop to put up on the rack. Much to my chagrin, we found a hole in the tank so it needs to be replaced.

I called Plaza in St Louis and they wanted 1023.75 for it. No TSBs on the tanks for that year, so Im on the hook. I called the previous owner and he knew nothing about it...so he said. Bottom line, I bought it, so Im hosed.

My question is (hat in hand) does this great community have a great resource for parts (specifically a gas tank) that they could share with us? Naturally, this repair was not on the radar, so any help or information would be appreciated.

Thank you all for your time and expertise!

Tim Byrnes
2002 C230 Kompressor coupe

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bmeister,

Thanks for the link! I see there are parts there for a fraction of the cost! Great idea on the sending unit too. Any other ideas on what I should get to replace the tank properly?

Tim Byrnes

·
Registered
1998 c230 170K
1,415 Posts
Whether you DIY or having a mechanic replace the tank I'd have the fuel filler neck, fuel lines hoses, and tank straps inspected for wear. There are some hoses on top of the tank for ventilation for the evap canister that get crusty and obviously as you know are difficult to reach without removal so if they are cracked it would be a good idea to do it at the time the replacement tank goes back in.

Pretty sure the rear end (differential) has to come apart and lowered out of the way so labor really is the biggest concern for now. Give an update on how it goes. B

·
Registered
880 Posts
I'd get a second opinion on the tank, as unless it's been punctured or the car rear ended, the tank is plastic and really, really shouldn't leak. There are many, many more likely suspects than the tank

Also, I'd ask about the labor on replacing the tank, as I think it's going to be a lot of hours.

If it's a puncture with a roundish hole, there are ways to fix the hole without replacing the tank.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We had her on the rack, and it looked like a hole had been worn by a strap. We kinda patched it, but its temporary. I already have a new/used one on the way and its going to be installed tomorrow. Ill let you all know how it turns out.

Thanks for the auto part site! It was a lifesaver!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Marvin, you do have a point about it being plastic. Do you have a suggestion for a repair instead of a replacement? Im always open to suggestions but I dont want it to be jerry rigged and fail later.

Tim

·
Registered
880 Posts
First, are you sure it's cracked. Can you see it? If it has to come out to repair it, you might be better off replacing it with a used tank.

Second, I'd start with the Mercedes dealer, and ask if they can repair a cracked tank. If not, call around. If that fails, do a Google search on tank repair.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Marvin,

Thanks for the input. It was an hole with cracks around it. The patch held until I was able to get it into the shop. I did find a used tank for much cheaper and the local shop will be installing it probably today. I told them to put the other items that were suggested on it, as well. I know it wont be cheap, but it will be right. I would rather do this and spend a little extra than have the concern of a rear end collision and a failed gas tank.

Ill let you all know how it turns out. Good thing I worked some overtime this week.

Tim

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello all...

The new tank has been installed and no more leaking. I bought the tank for 125 and the local shop charged 450 to install. So far, so good. New tires, new e-brake shoes, changed brake fluid and a new rf hub and she is back on the road. Still a few things to do, but she is doing better. Thanks again to all!

Tim

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have dubbed this car "RB"...for Rich B****....cause she wants ALL of my money! Tank replaced from serious fuel leak and now there is a loud clunking when I turn coming from what seems to be inside the fuel tank. Im assuming that a baffle has come loose inside the tank. Is there a way to remove the baffle from the access hatch where the fuel pump is located? Also, will this baffle floating around hurt anything? Im also assuming that since the tank is plastic, the baffle is also.

The car is a blast to drive, but DAMN!!!! This s*** is getting old already!

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:

Took the c230 to Autos of Europe in St Louis and found it was not the gas tank, but the right rear axle! Boris and his team fixed her up and she is running great!

Sorry for the rant in my previous post...had to blow off some steam.

Thanks to everyone here...you are all a great resource!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts