Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 240d
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have any of you noticed that the diesel nozzles at gas stations are way to big to fit into the tank? you have to just stand there and hold it or the nozzle will fall out.maybe its for bigrigs to get more fuel quickly.anybody know? thanks

·
Registered
83 300TD/97 E320/98 SL500
105 Posts
Maybe it is for bigrigs...

When I fill up (chevron, shell, arco, etc.), the nozzle wedges nicely between the bottom of the fill tube and the little metal cross-brace dealy. No need to hold the nozzle in. Where do you fill up?

·
Registered
82 240d
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was going up to santa cruz for the weekend on the 101 any station that had diesel I looked for.having a diesel is an uphill battle now they make it harder and harder.If you havent seen one of the new nozzles yet give some time you will,it will be another way to some how squeez us out.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hmmm...

I'm thinking we'll all need to make some sort of oily adapter to get nozzles to fit. We would even put a pretty BenzWorld sticker on it for effect.

·
Registered
82 240d
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the nozzle is a bigger diameter than the ones you and I are used to and it has this weird lip on the end of it.I know it sounds stupid but I swear I know what what I saw. this is not a joke

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sorry Jeremy, I'm not trying to make fun. In all seriousness, I was thinking about what I...

Sorry Jeremy, I'm not trying to make fun. In all seriousness, I was thinking about what I would do if this happened on a large scale- I'd probably make and carry an adapter hose with me. At which station did you notice this? Truck stop?

·
Registered
Mercedes 300D 1983
2 Posts
Large nozzle

You are not crazy. Many truck stops use the larger nozzle so the big rigs can fill their large tanks faster. Many truck stops will have at least 1 pump with the smaller nozzle (you have to ask which one). Other truck stops will have 1 or 2 pumps with "premium/high cetane" diesel which will have a the standard small nozzle (because no trucker would spend an extra 10 cents a gallon when filling a 100 - 200 gallon tank.

Good luck!

Eric

·
Registered
82 240d
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Sorry Jeremy, I'm not trying to make fun. In all seriousness, I was thinking about what I

Sorry Jeremy, I'm not trying to make fun. In all seriousness, I was thinking about what I would do if this happened on a large scale- I'd probably make and carry an adapter hose with me. At which station did you notice this? Truck stop?
ler its all good I knew you were not trying to make fun. the way I described it sounded corny thats why I said its not a joke. its all good

·
Registered
1983 300Dturbodiesel
297 Posts
i know exactly what you are talking about, pretty sure its just a larger hole so big diese...

i know exactly what you are talking about, pretty sure its just a larger hole so big diesel tanks get filled faster... the gas station i usually go to near (relative to my middleofnowhere location heh) has two nozzels on the diesel pump, i dindt know to come in from the other way to use the smaller one untill a few weeks ago lol... just dont open the nozzle up all the way with the big ones, or youll get a nice spray of diesel all over when it hits the top and clicks off (i dont do that anymore either ;p)

·
Registered
82 300D, ISU Formula
225 Posts
Well my belief is...

That the larger nozzels provide 2 things. 1. It does probally pump a 100+ gal diesel tank much faster than a smaller nozzle. 2. It probally keeps the idiot soccer moms driving their Ford Excursions, while talking on their cell phones, from putting diesel into their gas tank.

·
Registered
82 300 TD
75 Posts
Could not agree more with you on that. I think that it is ridiculous when I drive by our...

Could not agree more with you on that. I think that it is ridiculous when I drive by our local private school at 3 in the afternoon and see about 2 miles of nothing but Excursions and Yukon XL's lined up in the school's parking lot picking up there little Chaffy Bidford the 3rd. Hell I don't think that I would make it as president because the first thing that I would do is tax the hell out of gasoline. I would leave diesel alone so as not to hurt commercial haulers and I'd withhold federal monies from California until they came to their senses on the diesel issue. Then I would lower income taxes when all of the gasoline tax money started to flow in. This would give us "real" efforts in trying to improve the fuel efficiency in cars and would only tax people who used the product. People will only buy more efficient cars when it hits them in the pocket.

·
Registered
82 300D, ISU Formula
225 Posts
Heh, yeah I based my post on an experience I had.

I was at a large gas station/truck stop waiting in line to get diesel from a "normal" car sized nozzel. I was behind some woman in an Excursion, she was yapping on her cell phone while putting diesel in her gas tank. Pretty funny if you ask me. I can only imagine how her new SUV ran after it got some of that diesel into its chambers. Im pretty sure Excursions dont run on diesel, as I couldnt hear the familar rumble, or get the familar diesel smell.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
2,245 Posts
yes, excursions do run on diesel.
engines available:
5.4L V8 16V : 255BHP, 350LB/ft

yes, excursions do run on diesel.
engines available:
5.4L V8 16V : 255BHP, 350LB/ft
6.8L V10 20V: 310BHP, 425LB/ft

diesels:
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel V8 32V: 325BHP, 560LB/ft
7.3L Power Stroke Diesels V8 16V: 250BHP, 525LB/ft

So maybe she was correct by doin diesel in her big SUV!

(My choise although would be the 6.8 V10, but if it has to be a diesel, the 6.0L ---> newest Ford dieselengine.)

greetzzz,

Matteus

·
Registered
82 300D, ISU Formula
225 Posts
I knew Suburbans had availible diesel engines...

I didnt know Excursions had diesel engines. Hmm... That was a really clean running diesel if it was one. But then again, newer diesel vehicles have very clean emissions, compared to the older. I just dont see a woman with kids driving a diesel, If so, all the more power to her. :)

·
Registered
82 300D, ISU Formula
225 Posts
Amen to that brother!

I hate to see those big SUVs being used for other purposes besides what they are designed for. Its a stupid waste.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.