Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1984 380sl
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave up and took my 84 380SL into a shop to see if they could correct this. It seems that there is a small canister to collect the overflow and evaporation from the tank. The problem was a crack in this plastic canister, plus the rubber hoses were getting bad. They replaced the canister with a medal one that Mercedes had for a replacement. Also the rubber hoses. Luckily, they had a used one that only cost me $500 instead of the new cost of $900. WOW! For those of you that also have this problem, you might check this out.
My original post is in the wrong forum. Sorry about that. Ben

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
31,991 Posts
Used hose $500.00? New $900.00? Gold braided?

·
Registered
1984 380sl
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha Ha. No, the canister was $500.00 plus labor. By the way, do you have the carpet piece that I need as posted in the WTB section? I need the left rear trunk (the antenna motor side) cover in brown. Somehow it got lost or stolen when the SL was in the shop.

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,389 Posts
Alternative would be to get a replacement from ebay or german auto tops etc.

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,259 Posts
I made a new base out of thin ply and covered it in the matching carpet. A bit of a fiddly PITA but doable.

·
Registered
1984 380sl
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the answers. The shop said that they can't find it anywhere in their work bays. Ebay doesn't have any left sided ones listed and the ones that are listed for the right hand side they want to pay off the national debt for them. German Auto just sells the carpet part and not the form. Guess that I will have to hit the salvage yards for a replacement.

·
Premium Member
5,259 Posts
Thanks for the answers. The shop said that they can't find it anywhere in their work bays. Ebay doesn't have any left sided ones listed and the ones that are listed for the right hand side they want to pay off the national debt for them. German Auto just sells the carpet part and not the form. Guess that I will have to hit the salvage yards for a replacement.
Part of the problem is the original is some sort of flimsy impregnated cardboard and when you pull off the carpet half the backing disappears with it. Also, it's such a flimsy bit of crap they are often shredded by impatient mechanics-( in my case when I had the car painted).If you can find a used one and it's buggered you could still use it as a template rather than starting from scratch. I'd pull mine but its glued in a few spots to hold it in place.I'll take a pic for you to give you an idea what it looks like.

·
Registered
1984 380sl
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Aussiemerc. There are several German salvage yards here in Phoenix,AZ. I am going to check them out and see if I can find a exact replacement. If so, I'll present the expense to them and see how I come out.

·
Registered
747 Posts
On your 107,the Charcoal filter in the front by the radiator needs to be changed every few years. The fuel today stinks worse than the fuel of 1984 and i'd almost bet monwey that the charcoal canister hasn't been looked at since the car left the factory. Do a bit of online shopping before splashing out on the replacement though because it sounds like the shop you deal with is a bit... "hows your father".

·
Premium Member
5,259 Posts
Sorry to but in on the canister issue but I can't help thinking you have a leak somewhere closer to the fuel tank that allows fumes into the cabin. The out line from the canister feeds into the motor.
You need to check all the lines into and out of the tank and the fuel pump. I could be wrong but I found leaking fumes were from the fuel pump and filter on mine..

·
Registered
1984 380sl
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Aussiemerc. I had all that replaced when the shop did the evaporator collector. Plus had the steering damper, tie rods and strut replaced or re bushed. Unfortunately I am fast approaching my elder years for any DIY projects. I'll be 81 in a few days, but still enjoy driving the 380SL around town and may make longer trips while we still are able. I can still work on my Indian motorcycles tho, but quite riding a couple of years ago.

·
Premium Member
5,259 Posts
Thanks Aussiemerc. I had all that replaced when the shop did the evaporator collector. Plus had the steering damper, tie rods and strut replaced or re bushed. Unfortunately I am fast approaching my elder years for any DIY projects. I'll be 81 in a few days, but still enjoy driving the 380SL around town and may make longer trips while we still are able. I can still work on my Indian motorcycles tho, but quite riding a couple of years ago.
Me too on the old age restrictions on heavy stuff. I'm 80 in a few months .Back on your gas fumes, are there fumes in the engine bay too or just the cabin? If it's just the cabin you'd think it has to be at the back. It's a bit of a pain but you could remove the panel in front of the tank (between the tank and the trunk). The reason I say pain is that there are a whole bunch of small bolts along the top and bottom holding the cover plus some at the sides. However, once you get it off you can see all. A reversing drill and socket will make it easier.

·
Registered
1984 380sl
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The trunk gas fumes are all gone now. That was the $500.00 that I eluded too on my first post. All the rubber hoses and the cracked plastic evaporator tank were replaced with new and it cured the gas odor problem. However, in the process, someone stole my cover that protected the antenna motor. The shop denies any one in their side did it but they did farmout a re-alignment for the front end and maybe it disappeared there. I'm not going around and make a lot of noise about it missing, but it sure pissed me off. Very hard to find a matching one in as good as shape as the one taken.Been a couple on Ebay but didn't look as perfect as my old one, plus they want a small fortune for them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts