Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how the fuel gauge is set up. The yellow light on my 99e55 illuminates at around 285 miles at 17 gallons down. When the guage reads 0 (approx 305 miles), I find 18 gallons will fill the tank. There should be at least 2 gallons left in the tank according to the manual. I was wondering if this jives with other people's experience and how many miles can I go before the car runs out of gas.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fuel guage

I find the fuel gauge not very accurate, this seems to be a problem that affects not only MB but also BMW and Audi. The BMW and Audi fuel gauges would go as far as dropping to zero with little notice.<p>With the MB, I am suspecting that the gauge is too conservative, it seems to have 1/8 left in the tank even when the needle is pointing at E. I'll play around with it and see..

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scientific Test performed on E55 Gas Gauge Reading (more)...

----------<p>Well, maybe not that scientific. <p>Had heard that there were problems with the accuracy of the guage from other forums. At 1000 miles I did a test: drove the car till the gauge had dropped to E. Then drove it some more (about 15 miles). Checked the computer and it said I still had just shy of a gallon left.<p>Although I usually fill-up with 1/4 tank left anyway, the 'low fuel' warinig light just reminds me to keep the computer read out of the mile/gallons left on the instrument cluster display instead of the radio.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't paid that much attention to the gauge. The trip computer has been very accurate and easy to validate. When the gauge starts to get towards E, you can easily check how much fuel is left.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fuel guage

I also had problems w/my fuel guage. I fill it to the brim (approx. 18 gallons) and it doesn't allow me to fill more (keeps clicking). Then when I turn on the engine, the fuel guage says that it is 3/4 full. What gives? Does anyone have similar problems?<p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts