Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
ML350 2007
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek: I recently pumped at a retail outlet here called "Costco" and noticed at the pump a small sticker saying that the fuel may contain up to 10% Ethanol". The octane level is 91 which is the recommended min. for my ML350.

Is this blend something I should worry about or is a small amount of ethanol ok?

·
Registered
2004 SL500 R230 White/Beige
10 Posts
It's just fine.. in fact almost all the gas in the US is going to have ethanol in it. They use it more as a way of making us use less patrolium in the gas, thereby somehow making less co2 or something like that.

·
Registered
452 Posts
:eek: I recently pumped at a retail outlet here called "Costco" and noticed at the pump a small sticker saying that the fuel may contain up to 10% Ethanol". The octane level is 91 which is the recommended min. for my ML350.

Is this blend something I should worry about or is a small amount of ethanol ok?
Your manual will have the specs of max allowed ethanal blend

·
Registered
ML350 2007
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any benefit to using super unleaded such as "SHELL V-Power" which contains higher concentrations of detergents and other additives to help clean the engine and smooth its operation?

·
Registered
'09 ML550, '12 BMW 650i Cab (lucky wife)
757 Posts
Any benefit to using super unleaded such as "SHELL V-Power" which contains higher concentrations of detergents and other additives to help clean the engine and smooth its operation?
Yes. You'll help Shell's stock price.

If a few drops of various chemicals could really help "clean" the engine, do you imagine one company would include it and all the others wouldn't? Gas is gas is gas. One company's premium may come from one refinery this week and a totally different one next week. Two competitors may fill up their tankers from the same refinery. One company adds a few drops of this, the other company adds a few drops of that, mostly just in an attempt to differentiate themselves from the competition. When you buy from Costco or Safeway, chances are you are getting the exact same fuel as from Texaco or Shell or Exxon or whoever. Gasoline is a commodity; don't listen to the hype.

The only thing that really matters is octane.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts