Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is telling me that the gas pedal on her 90 560 sel sometimes feels like the gas pedal is pushing back up towards her foot and not letting her push down. I can not drive so I cant tell you what I feel just what she can tell me. I am thinking air filter and or fuel injectors. Cleaned K&N air filter treating injectors with sea foam as she drives now. Will replace fuel filters, if someone can tell me how many and where are they located. had car less than a year. put 8,000 miles on her so far ( The 560 not the wife) any other ideas or areas I should check?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I noticed the gas pedal is heavy on these too, I just got a 90 560SEL myself. I think it's normal, and if she's a light/petite woman - that would explain it. I don't like how close the brake and gas pedal are either, I guess my foot is too big! :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine gets caught a bit sometimes after using the cruise control, just have to push it a bit harder to get it un stuck.

·
Registered
138 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
The linkage does need periodic lubrication, from the firewall to the throttle plate and cruise control actuator. More important than lubrication is cleaning out the dirt and old lubricant from the ball and socket connectors. After pulling apart one at a time, use Q-tips and carb cleaner. Then, use only hydraulic fluid to lube them and snap them back together. This will make a huge difference in pedal feel. Good luck

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
As per above, hydraulic oil only, no motor oil or grease ever (AHH!!!), just plain John Deere stuff or ATF. Use a flat head screw driver and just turn the blade between the socket and ball to torque them apart. That way they're assured not to break on you.

Also, maybe the return springs are mucked up with dirt and such, check the one on the throttle butterfly and the two near the exhaust down pipe, scrub them off if necessary. Might want to see that no interference from vacuum tubes and such is taking place.

The fuel filter is located near the rear differential, along side the fuel pump behind thier own little plastic covering.

·
Registered
354 Posts
For the sake of completeness, and since you mentioned it, clogged fuel injectors won't affect resistance on the gas pedal, but they could cause a lag when she presses the gas pedal (probably followed by a surge i power). I'm dealing with that and thought I 'd mention it case it is part of the problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a similar feel feel on my 560 , it turned out to be the hinge at the pivot spot of the foot peddal that had broken , $10 and it was fixed.

Good luck, lots of good advise on this site.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,261 Posts
why cant i see the replies
Did you sign in?

Welcome to the forum. If you tried a search, please make sure to carefully read the 'Welcome to the Forum' announcement / tutorial sticky on top. The cumbersome search will work best with 2 -3 words, and will only recognize words with more than 3 letters each.
There are multiple threads re the rear shade in the archive.
I read one last week, that even had all the Mercedes part numbers for both the sedan and coupe (some of the parts are different). A search with 'rear window shade' got 3 pages of threads, 'rear shade repair' 6 threads.

Please click 'User CP' on the top toolbar, and complete your profile with the car mod and location, to make it easier for members to offer advice.

Cheers

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts