Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be a gasoline odor coming from the back of the my 560sl. I drive with the windows down so I mostly smell it after the car has been sitting for awhile. The smell is most intense in the passenger cabin ( and the trunk) if the car is sitting for aroud 4 hours. It is sligtly less if the car has been sitting for over 2 days. I don't see any wetness or stains on the ground. I don't think the leak in in the gas tank because when I take the gas cap off, there is a release of presure.<p>Can anyone help?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
: There seems to be a gasoline odor coming from the back of the my 560sl. I drive with the windows down so I mostly smell it after the car has been sitting for awhile. The smell is most intense in the passenger cabin ( and the trunk) if the car is sitting for aroud 4 hours. It is sligtly less if the car has been sitting for over 2 days. I don't see any wetness or stains on the ground. I don't think the leak in in the gas tank because when I take the gas cap off, there is a release of presure.<p>Can anyone help?<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the same problem in my 380sl. The problem was in the area where the gas cap is attached. It is basically two pipes interconnected and the weld must have weakened. The gas dribbled down the pipe, past the worn seal and into the trunk area. I filled the seal with a weld putty and it works fine.<p><br>: There seems to be a gasoline odor coming from the back of the my 560sl. I drive with the windows down so I mostly smell it after the car has been sitting for awhile. The smell is most intense in the passenger cabin ( and the trunk) if the car is sitting for aroud 4 hours. It is sligtly less if the car has been sitting for over 2 days. I don't see any wetness or stains on the ground. I don't think the leak in in the gas tank because when I take the gas cap off, there is a release of presure.<p>Can anyone help?<p><br>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts