Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995 e320 Wagon
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm looking to get a little better gas mileage and if that's not possible I'd like to get more zoom/power/speed off the line or simply more punch in the peddle. I've got a '89 300E with the 3 liter. Any suggestions would be great.
[:)]

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php3?t=32224

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
i honestly don't think that is true and gas here in california isn't good enough. so once i see the differences on a dyno, then i will go ahead and do the "mod"

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Explain to me how an ignition which is retarded 6 degrees does not effect one's performance? When timing chains are changed to bring cars back in to spec (always retarded, generally 4-9 degrees based on what I have seen) they Always feel crisper/more responsive.
Take a engine that still has a cap/points and retard it 6 degrees, tell me how it feels.

Jonathan

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
lnkprksoldier - 5/5/2005 11:51 AM

i honestly don't think that is true and gas here in california isn't good enough. so once i see the differences on a dyno, then i will go ahead and do the "mod"
jhodg5ck - 5/5/2005 6:27 PM

Explain to me how an ignition which is retarded 6 degrees does not effect one's performance? When timing chains are changed to bring cars back in to spec (always retarded, generally 4-9 degrees based on what I have seen) they Always feel crisper/more responsive.
Take a engine that still has a cap/points and retard it 6 degrees, tell me how it feels.

Jonathan
Well...???

[}:)]

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
sorry. your right. i think i see it.. but i think i read on there that it said that the thing is on the drivers side of the engine bay... i driev an 87 300e and always put in 91 octane gas and i put in some oxy booster and gas cleaner every month. pics would be very helpful

·
Registered
E320 wagon
953 Posts
There use to be a "tip book " (get better mileage without replacing major parts ) . They used thin washers "shims" under the plugs get the fuel to ignite better with the open gap toward the airflow . Their testing showed the air flow was close to super sonic at some point ,the bent electrode shaded the spark if not indexed with the open gap toward the airflow. The rest was tire pressure - air filters - vacuum gauge - oils for temperature / multi vis - use of air cond - . It amounted to 2 -5 miles more per gallon. I think it was by Jacobs ignition ( now named another company )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts