Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes Benz 300 E
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all. Just bought an '88 300-E last week. Got a steal! This is my first Mercedes, and I'm very excited about it. I've been doing some minor repairs, fixing what the previous owner never did. One of the things he told me was that the interior of the car smells like gas if the tank is filled more than three quarters of the way full.

Could this be a leak in the tank? Leak in the fuel line? Maybe a bad seal between the trunk and interior? I'm not sure about leaks as they would affect fuel delivery from tank to engine.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance! :D

-Cory

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,667 Posts
Cory,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for taking the time to fill out your profile. I'd suggest taking out the trunk liner that hides the gas tank and check the integrity of all the gas line fittings and filler neck fittings. The liner is the large vertical section of the trunk material. Once you have that out, fill the car and do your inspection.

Good Luck,

Jayare

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,454 Posts
I'm willing to bet that someone replaced the fuel level sender and botched the installation job. As Jayare says, remove the fabric panel that clips to the underside of the "package tray" and that will expose the fuel tank and the sender. A big nut holds the sender to the tank and the nut may be loose or crossthreaded. Or the rubber selaing ring may be bad.
I doubt that the filler neck will be the problem becasue I think it's welded right to the tank -- no gasket.
And the only other connection to the tank is the outlet which pokes right through the floor pan and has a hose connection there.

·
Registered
w124 220E M111
219 Posts
had a same problem with my 220e. After checking all of the above mentioned fix a former MB tech pointed me to the charcoal cannister located inside the driverside, mine is a LHD, front fender. The hose got loose and gas fumes is leaking inside of the cabin. After cleaning the inside of the fender (Gunk and clay of dirt), I reinstalled the hose and the problem never crop up again. HTH.

·
Registered
1990 300 TE 190,000 - Sold - Should have kept it.
104 Posts
I had a similar problem too, but I started simple and got lucky.
The seal on the gas cap was bad and allowed fumes as well as gas to escape.
The interior of the car smelled of gas when the level of the tank was at 3/4 or better.

A new gas cap and no more problems.

I don't typically get lucky with easy fixes like that....I guess that was my winning lottery ticket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts