Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG
505 Posts
[8D]
All I can say is what I read in the owner's manual for my car, which says if you have to use lower octane gas in an emergency, do not rev the motor past 3,000 RPM and accelerate gently. That is another way of saying the fuel might pre-detonate, causing knocking or pinging. Since both symptoms are easy to hear, you can try cheaper fuel and hear what happens. In countries where there is no high-octane fuel, mechanics retard the ignition timing until the knocking goes away.

Good luck,
Dave

·
Registered
95 E320 Coupe, 11 E350 4Matic P2
1,082 Posts
well if you are putting more than $50 worth of gas in your car its best to go with 89 octane.
but 91 is really really recomended for these cars...

·
Registered
570 Posts
Sell it cheap and buy a nice new car!

Go for it. Just ruin your car and then buy something else.

Another option is to sell your car and buy something you can afford to operate.

Another option is to treat your car properly and spend the extra $ 0.20 per gallon for the 15 gallons to fill your tank. I think that adds up to about $3.00 more per tank.

If $3.00 more per tank is too much for you, maybe you should spend $25,000 on a nice new full efficient automobile. Maybe you could get the Prius. Before you get a new car, however, just add up how many tanks of gas you can buy with about $25,000.00 to $30,000.

I like to play this game when things break on my car. I just replaced my water pump for $800.00. Now if I have to fix the wiring harness, the head gasket, the evaporator, and replace every rubber part on my suspension, it still won’t add up to the cost of what I think would be a very inferior NEW car.

I LOVE MY CAR!!!!

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
RE: Sell it cheap and buy a nice new car!

ksing44 - 4/30/2005 4:37 PM

Go for it. Just ruin your car and then buy something else.

Another option is to sell your car and buy something you can afford to operate.

Another option is to treat your car properly and spend the extra $ 0.20 per gallon for the 15 gallons to fill your tank. I think that adds up to about $3.00 more per tank.

If $3.00 more per tank is too much for you, maybe you should spend $25,000 on a nice new full efficient automobile. Maybe you could get the Prius. Before you get a new car, however, just add up how many tanks of gas you can buy with about $25,000.00 to $30,000.

I like to play this game when things break on my car. I just replaced my water pump for $800.00. Now if I have to fix the wiring harness, the head gasket, the evaporator, and replace every rubber part on my suspension, it still won’t add up to the cost of what I think would be a very inferior NEW car.

I LOVE MY CAR!!!!

unless you sell your car. taking off some money off the cost. then the new car is a lot more reliable...well because its new!

·
Registered
1994 MB E320
197 Posts
lol Ksing I've noticed that you post those same three pictures of your car pretty much everytime you reply to a thread. [:p]

·
Registered
95 E320 Coupe, 11 E350 4Matic P2
1,082 Posts
yup....

that damn wire harness is sure killing me too...

·
Registered
570 Posts
Temptation

Professor Booty - 4/30/2005 10:20 PM

lol Ksing I've noticed that you post those same three pictures of your car pretty much everytime you reply to a thread. [:p]
I like to throw in a picture, just to show my pretty little car. I just can’t decide which view I like best, so I end up posting those three. Do you think it is a bad thing to do? They are really just links to where the pictures are stored, so I don’t think it should be filling up the site’s storage capacity.

Of course you didn’t help anything by including my photos in your quote from my post. [;)]

Do you think it is in bad taste? Do you think I should stop? It isn’t hurting anything, but maybe I could try to hold back and not post so many of the same pictures of my car. If people think I am over doing it, then I suppose I could try to resist the temptation to post a picture of my car. [}:)]

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
How many miles are on your car? Have you taken a compression test? WIth age the compression gets a good bit lower on these motors, in which case you might be able to pull it off...
These engines are Heavily retarded from the factory in case of poor fuel quality.. With that resistor removed I would recomend 91, but things as they are you can most likely get away with it. Just keep a good ear out for any pinging.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1994 MB E320
197 Posts
RE: Temptation

ksing44 - 5/1/2005 6:45 AM

Professor Booty - 4/30/2005 10:20 PM

I like to throw in a picture, just to show my pretty little car. I just can’t decide which view I like best, so I end up posting those three. Do you think it is a bad thing to do? They are really just links to where the pictures are stored, so I don’t think it should be filling up the site’s storage capacity.

Of course you didn’t help anything by including my photos in your quote from my post. [;)]

Do you think it is in bad taste? Do you think I should stop? It isn’t hurting anything, but maybe I could try to hold back and not post so many of the same pictures of my car. If people think I am over doing it, then I suppose I could try to resist the temptation to post a picture of my car. [}:)]
I wasn't trying to tell you to stop; I don't mind that you do it personally. I just thought I would point it out. The only problem I could see anyone having with you doing that is if they have dialup and are waiting forver hoping they are new pictures but then they are just the same three again lol. Do it as much as you want, there's no rule against it. [:)]

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,603 Posts
i use 89 alsmost exclusively in my car and have had no pings or problems.
of course i dont drive it like a teenage would either.

about every third tankful i use whatever is the premium and drive it harder than normal. i also use chevron fuel injector cleaner (cheap for 4 of them at costco) about every coupla months or so.

·
Registered
'93 300E 2.8
248 Posts
With knock sensors and electronic engine management, is there even engine knock? Also, what are you really saving by buying cheaper gasoline? 18 or 20 cents per gallon? On a 17 gallon fillup, that's maybe an extra gallon and a half. But you're probably losing fuel economy because the engine isn't running at an optimal level thereby eliminating your cash saving. Personally, I'd just pay the extra cash and know that the engine is running well.

·
Registered
95 E320 Cabriolet, 140K
1,332 Posts
There was a Car and Driver article a few years back addressing this question. Upshot of the article was that you CAN use lower octane, since modern MB cars come with knock sensors. But anything you save by using lower octane will be lost by the accompanying loss of gas mileage, because the knock sensors adjust timing for the octane being used.

Interestingly, the jump from regular to mid-grade to premium is 10¢ each time. It's always been 10¢. Considering the price of gas has jumped a lot, this makes the 10¢ much less impact percentage-wise, and makes a stronger case for staying with premium for our cars.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Kestas - 5/1/2005 10:46 PM
Interestingly, the jump from regular to mid-grade to premium is 10¢ each time. It's always been 10¢. Considering the price of gas has jumped a lot, this makes the 10¢ much less impact percentage-wise, and makes a stronger case for staying with premium for our cars.
That is a very interesting and thoughtful consideration. In terms of percentage, the cost for using better gas has actually decreased!

Kestas, you sound like a scientist.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 1994 E-320(89k miles). I run 89 all the time and have noticed no significant difference in mpg. She runs fine and still has remarkable acceleration for her type. Through a variety of sensors and logic, these cars have some idea of what you put in the tank, and in a brief time, will compensate. Heck, modern cars base decisions on EM by the way they are driven, I doubt a small drop in octane would actually harm them, certainly not 2-3 tank fulls(may take 2-3 fills for the EM cpu to learn). Check your warranty.
PS Some folks love these cars so much, that they will stretch their budget to it's limit, just to own one. If dropping to 89 enables them to afford it, then more power to them. They still LOVE their Mercedes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts