Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Current: 2006 E500 4 Matic Past: 99 ML430, 99 E430
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys

I am new to my 99 ML430. I found my gas gauge would flucturate depend on the ground it's sitting. So if it's parked on a horizontal ground, next time I start the car, it would indicate accurate gas gauge. But if I parked the car up hill, it would indicate more gas left in the tank than actual. If I parked the car down hill, it would indicate less gas than actual. If I start driving it, within 3 to 10 minutes, the gas gauge needle would gradually goes back to the correct level.
So the real annoyance is this, depend on the slope of the hill the car is sitting, the utmost gas gauge flucturation at 30 degree slope could be 1/6 range of the full tank. On the same 30 degree slope hill, my previous E430 gas gauge would only flucturate maybe 1/16 range of the full tank. Both tank has similar capacity, ML430 is 19 gal, E430 is 21.6 gal.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
It seems to me that this 'inaccuracy' based on the elevation of the road surface is the same for all cars - IF, as you say, it reverts to normal accuracy once on flat ground what is the problem?:)

Granted the ML has a propensity for these type of fuel gauge inaccuracy problems (the posts on this Forum, if you search stand testament to that).

The solution is to change the fuel sender unit which is part of the fuel pump.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,126 Posts
Years ago the dealers would program the circuit to be actual real time readings. They
would take the fuzzy logic calculation out of the loop and the needle would move all
over the place.
It is possible that it was done to the OP's truck or the sender is indeed going bad.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts