Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 C280, 82 230CE, 80 280SE, 80 300D
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and didn't find what I'm looking for so maybe someone can help me out. I bought an engine/trans that was supposed to be out of a "72 280SL but the numbers aren't making sense. I have an '82 Euro 230CE and am not familiar with the W114 which I think the I6 might be from.

The block number is 110.921 120 37779 which, from what I have seen so far, should be a sohc 2.8 so I'm wondering if I have the wrong reference info; or the engine block was initially from a sohc and later converted to dohc. The head is marked "USA" with a red stamp.

Can anyone shed some light? I'm especially interested in c.r. and fuel system (pressure regulator specs, etc) particulars. I will likely adapt a distributorless ignition/engine management (maybe megasquirt II) and I'll use an intercooler for the turbo. Thanks in advance. DAW

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
c'mon out there...even some basics would be welcome.

BTW, I have no plans to put this 6cyl in the 230CE. That car will always remain a 4 cyl car. This is an excellent Mercedes to own by the way, very enjoyable to my tastes.

The 6 cyl may go into a boat for all I know right now. I bought it because a magnificent engine is a work of art to me, Art and the Zen of Motrcyc...anyways enough about Aurther.

The engine and trans were nowhere near as heavy as I'd presumed. My little old Datsun truck acted like nothing much was aboard. I would put the engine into another W123 coupe, or another fun Mercedes model that would like an inline 6, but it is equally likely to become part of one of my hybridized vehicles in which countries of the world are represented under the hood. My projects are conglomerates; like little United Nations'; except working better. DAW

·
Registered
A bunch o of 'em - see signautre
224 Posts
DAW -

Go here to look at a list of the "200" series cars for a chassis # and engine # cross check;

http://www.mercedesengines.net/200s.htm

Unless Metric Motors is wrong, that 110.921 is a carbureted DOHC from a 280 or 280C.

I may be mistaken but I think all the variations of the 110 are DOHC aren't they?

Kevin

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. There was no intake manifold on it but I presumed f.i. because of the turbo. Would they have been blow-through carbs or did someone put a turbo exhaust manifold from a diesel inline six on it? It looks like it is a direct bolt on and doesn't appear to be rigged-up or modified to fit.

The 110s may all be dohc, I was referrencing a post from the archives of this site which said sohc and I was hoping it was wrong. Know of the compression ratios for USA market? DAW

1 - 4 of 4 Posts