Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently on my 2007 ML 350 I had the red warning light telling me that the gas cap was not on, when it was actualy still on.

I had the check engine light reset and then I tightened up the gas cap and after a day the light still came on, I even repositioned the rubber seal on the gas cap and turned it around and the warning light still came on, each time I had the warning light reset by computer.

So I bought a new gas cap from my local dealer who assured me that this would probaly cure my problem. It did not, I put the new gas cap on, half filled the gas tank and after a day the light still came, I reset it made sure the gas cap was tight filled up the tank and the light still came on the next day.

I believe the actual sensor reading is the vapor lock sensor is reading wrong so has anybody replaced this sensor on my model mercedes and is it easy to do.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I assume you must be ''miled out'' of warranty. Aside from the cap and sensor, it could be other pieces of the filler neck assembly which have either come loose or worn out from vibration etc or perhaps if they have ever removed the tank to replace the fuel pump,it was not quite reinstalled correctly.Assuming its not a sensor, anything loose from the cap to the tank that cause a loss in pressure will trigger a warning. If a dealer has done all the servicing on it since new, the records of in tank filter/pump changes will be there. Perhaps you can go back on them for costs it it turns out to be traceable back to something like that.Hopefully its just a sensor but if not, make sure you follow up a bit as it might get expensive labor wise to fix.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did call the Mercedes dealership where I bought the vehicle from and as I did not buy it new it was a 'preferred used car' which has a warranty until December 2011 or 100,000 miles, mine has 55,000.

I will find out on Monday if it is covered under the extended warranty or not, the only work they have not carried out was the last oil change so I should be alright.

However I am interested if anybody has changed that sensor for the vapor lock.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I did call the Mercedes dealership where I bought the vehicle from and as I did not buy it new it was a 'preferred used car' which has a warranty until December 2011 or 100,000 miles, mine has 55,000.

I will find out on Monday if it is covered under the extended warranty or not, the only work they have not carried out was the last oil change so I should be alright.

However I am interested if anybody has changed that sensor for the vapor lock.
Seems odd they would make you pay for a Gas Cap already then if your still covered

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems odd they would make you pay for a Gas Cap already then if your still covered
I did not mention it to them at the time I bought the gas cap, it was only $21 so I eliminated that cause before I am getting the warranty to kick in and sort it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
degsey69, did you ever resolve this issue? If so what was the resolution? I'm having the same problem on my wife's '07 ML 350 with only 30k miles. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
degsey69, did you ever resolve this issue? If so what was the resolution? I'm having the same problem on my wife's '07 ML 350 with only 30k miles. Thanks
It was dealt with on extended warranty it was a sand filter sensor replaced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts