Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I first bought my truck a couple of months back it showed two codes at the dealer a P0400 and a P0460. I cleared them and the 400 did come back. At the time I wasn't filling up just a quick $40 or $50 so about a half tank. I pretty much always use Chevron gas so it has techron in it. When I filled it up the first time the 460 code showed up again and my gas gauge was dead which was an annoying new thing. I went on a fair length trip of say 350 miles total. Here is finally what I am wondering about. About halfway the low fuel light was flashing intermittently then eventually came on steady then all o a sudden my gauge was working normally and showed just over 3/4 of a tank. I've been trying to keep the tank full and have topped it a few times now. Each time the same sequence of the dead gauge the p0460 code then the low fuel followed by a working gauge. The difference has been each time the gauge seems to be working closer to full. Today I topped it off and as I'm heading out of town tomorrow for the day. This time I had the gauge back and working after driving only 20 miles around town.

What I would like to know is if this would mean my sensor was covered in varnish or something else and if it is the techron in the gas doing the cleaning or just the gas itself sloshing over the sensor strip. If it is the techron that just means I'll stick with chevron for a while but I have wondered about adding a bottle of techron cleaner tospeed this self repair process along if that is what is doing it. What other cleaners are out there that work on stuff like this? And the last thing is even after clearing the codes I still see codes may be pending. I think this means I need to complete a drive cycle but haven't managed to get that to clear. So my last question is would a 60 mile highway trip clear these pending things or does the drive cycle need to be that specific before they do clear?

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I can get the gas to do the work then..... :D I have a micro-burnishing tool that I use to repair contacts in fuel cells. Sort of a finer harder plastic surface but exactly the same purpose as the eraser trick (which is hard to beat actually).

I have suspected mine sat on a car lot for at least half a year before I got it. That is why I wonder if this is varnish that came from fumes in the tank or over the trucks lifetime from crappy gas. Just surprised this is getting better with each fill.

·
Registered
'02 ML500 (Kleeman headers, tune, AMG ML55 wheels,3.09 diffs, 3rd row seats);
272 Posts
I have suspected mine sat on a car lot for at least half a year before I got it. That is why I wonder if this is varnish that came from fumes in the tank or over the trucks lifetime from crappy gas. Just surprised this is getting better with each fill.
Then keep on doing what you are doing until you stop seeing improvement. No need to add techron if you are using Chevron IMHO.

Regards,
Jerry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts