Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
E420, E300, 560SL
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm guessing this might have been asked before, so if there is a link to an archive I would greatly appreciate it. If not, then.

I just recently bought an '87 560sl. Can someone walk me through step-by-step how to remove the hard top, and operate the soft top.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Michael

·
Registered
50 Posts
Removing Hardtop and putting up Soft Top

First off, you should have a latch top key to unbolt the hard top from the top of the front windshield. You'll use this same key to lock in the soft top onto the front windshield.

There are a total of four latches that need to be manually unbolted. Begin by unbolting the two front latches connecting the hard top to the front windshield. There is one latch behind the driver seat just below the hard top's quarter window. The last one is on the opposite side on the passenger's side. If an latch key in unavailable, a study, thick screw driver will work also.

Next, undo the single rear latch by operating the lever located behind the driver seat in the back open space in the cabin. It should be actuated toward the front of the car, this is the lock position. actuate back. If facing the lever, turn it counter clock-wise. Leave it in the unlock position. Sometimes, you'll push the lever too far back and hear a click. This is opening the soft top tonneau cover. Of course, the tonneau cover cannot pop out because the hard top is still on. If you hear the pop, do not worry. The tonneau cover is probably popped up a bit. Simply push the tonneau cover back down. We'll get to that later.

You should see the rear of the hard top rise up as the latch lets go of the hard top.

Now you are free to remove the hard top. The hard top is very heavy. I do not recommend removing it yourself. I did it once successful and I am no longer that strong any more. I'd recommend three fairly people if you do not have a lift. Lift the top straight up and then back towards the rear of the car.

Hard top stands are available for sale should be planning on storing the hard top for a long time.

Now that the hardtop is off, now is the time to put the soft top up.

Return to the lever that is still in the unlock position for the latch that held the hard top. Push it back further and you'll hear a loud click. This will open the tonneau cover that is hiding the soft top. If the tonneau cover does not open and lift up by itself, the springs may be old, simply help the tonneau cover up until it is in a vertical position.

Pull out the soft top paying close attention to where the folds are. You'll need to remember this when returning the soft top back into its compartment.

Extend the forward section of the soft top towards the front windshield. Pull up the rear portion of the soft top, just enough so that you are able to close the tonneau cover and snap it back into it's closed position.

Bring down the rear portion of the soft top and align it to the hold of the rear latch, but do not lock.

Align the soft top's two latches onto the front windshield and proceed to lock these in place.

Snap the rear of the soft top onto the latch and return to the interior cabin of the car and move the lever towards the front section of the car to lock the soft top.

Congratulations! You've just gone from Hard top to Soft top.

·
Registered
E420, E300, 560SL
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You Esteves....

Weather permitting (it's currently 28 degrees in the Northeast), I will try this weekend when I have some friends over to watch the game.

I'll keep you posted of my success.

Thanks again,

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts