Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SLK350 spends a lot of time in the garage since its primarily my weekend car. Sometimes it would be parked for weeks without a start. Unfortunately can't take it with me everyday :( I always wondered if it is better to garage it top up or top down? Are the seals or hydralics more susceptible to malfunction or damage one way?

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
Since the rear side windows don't go all the way down when down (and neither do the main side windows for that matter), it is best to leave the top up with all the windows up when parked for extended periods so as to minimize the deformation of the windows' rubber/felt seals. As discussed in a previous thread, having the top and windows down for extended periods while parked will promote deformation of the seals and result in air turbulence and noise during driving when everything is up. Minor issue but somewhat preventable.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
Not using it for extended periods may be viewed as SLK abuse...then again, I love my daily driver and would rather park my ML...[:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
My top stays down about 95% this time of year. So it is in garage top down like always.

·
Registered
slk 55
366 Posts
Besides the issue that Masmole mentioned (a good one), there are other reasons I almost always put the top up. I've had convertibles in the past, and found that parking them with the top up for anything more than a short time (whether it be outdoors or in a garage) tends to keep the interior cleaner (even my personal garage tends to be a bit dusty). Also, parking with the top up tends to keep that new car smell longer (why do most people love that?) versus the car smelling like the garage.

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
masmole - 5/9/2005 12:43 AM
...it is best to leave the top up with all the windows up when parked for extended periods so as to minimize the deformation of the windows' rubber/felt seals...
I looked and don't understand how having the windows down will promote deformation of the seals. The part of the seals that is pushed out by the windows not going all the way down is in the exact same position as it is with the windows up. The only thing I can see is having the widow up all the time would cause the entire seal to deform at the same rate. Could someone please enlighten me on what I'm missing.

·
Registered
SLK350 6MT
294 Posts
I usually garage mine with the top up and a cover on, to keep it clean and protect it from the kids going in and out. If I pull in with the top down and know I am going to drive it the next day I will leave the top down.

·
Registered
SLK 230 & SLK350 and Jaguar XF PL
568 Posts
Top up if I did leave it down the car would be full of spiders and mice. Keeps the nice smell longer as well.

gary

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
homealone - 5/9/2005 2:58 AM

Top up if I did leave it down the car would be full of spiders and mice. Keeps the nice smell longer as well.

gary
Ditto...top and windows up in garage because of spiders, LARGE spiders.[:0]

·
Registered
SLK 350, '04 C 320C
66 Posts
Top up and windows closed. We live in a very rural area and things left open tend to attract dust. Also, the garage/shop tends to have regular visitors of the 4 and 8 legged variety that don't need to establish a new home in the cars. We've recently ordered car covers for those that don't currently have them to help a bit more.

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
malibuite - 5/10/2005 3:35 PM

homealone - 5/9/2005 2:58 AM

gary
Ditto...top and windows up in garage because of spiders, LARGE spiders.[:0]
I don't get that many spiders & mice in mine(garage), but I do get birds and frogs - where the feck do the frogs come from (OK, they might be toads) ... Roof up every time it's parked up.

·
Registered
SLK 230 & SLK350 and Jaguar XF PL
568 Posts
[/QUOTE]

but I do get birds and frogs - where the feck do the frogs come from (OK, they might be toads) ... Roof up every time it's parked up.[/QUOTE]

They come from frogspawn Woolly, do toads come toadspawn?

gary

1 - 13 of 13 Posts