Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'71 250, '78 450SLC 5.0, '78 450SL, '81 380SLC 5.6, '89 260E, '15 Kia Sorento
5,269 Posts
My garage floor is nasty and I have heard nothing good about DIY epoxy painting.
I use the space mostly for parking and light projects. No welding or heavy repair work.
I am looking at laying poly tiles from Basement Flooring | Garage Flooring | Trade Show Flooring | Interlocking Floor Tiles

Any experiences, advice?

I am familiar with that type of interlocking tile from my days selling flooring. I have a box that I picked up on clearance, but have not used. It is extremely durable and low maintenance. It hold up well to oil and gas, if I remember correctly. I would suggest you order one box first to make sure you like it before you commit to a large order. If you have a Lowes close by you can special order a box through them and if you don't like it return it. They will say they don't take returns on special order, but I assure you that you can take anything back.
I had a customer once that did her garage with these type of tiles and I believe she spent in the $1500 range for a two car garage. That included the edge pieces as well.

·
Registered
82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
6,164 Posts
I've looked at them and feel they'd be very good, especially where you wish to cover up a bad floor.

I really like the home center look where they grind/polish the concrete. That with a stain/sealer would IMO be perfect.

However I chose to simply use an acrylic stain and sealer on my last concrete project.

·
Registered
'87 560SL / '00 Celica GT-S / '92 Volvo 960 / '70 F-100
324 Posts
My garage floor is nasty and I have heard nothing good about DIY epoxy painting.
I use the space mostly for parking and light projects. No welding or heavy repair work.
I am looking at laying poly tiles from Basement Flooring | Garage Flooring | Trade Show Flooring | Interlocking Floor Tiles

Any experiences, advice?
3 houses ago, I tiled my garage floor with blue and white VCT. It worked great - the only thing to consider is that you would need to protect it with plywood or something before putting a jack stand on the floor because those would leave marks. It was incredibly easy... I did it all in a weekend with plenty of time left to spare.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,189 Posts
I'm having good luck so far with the Armor Poxy Military floor coat I put on. The previous HD Rustolium Epoxy covering showed it was doing to be a problem right away and 2 years later it was. Rustolium tried to offer me plastic tiles as a replacement for the floor. I had them bring down a sample of 6 and I jacked up a 560SL with the floor jack on them. The started to crack so I opted for a refund. Since I hardly use a floor jack any more since I got the lift this is not really a problem as the damage that was don to the tiles by the jack was minimal and tiles can be replaced separately. My biggest concern with the tile is build up of mildew under the tiles.

The Armor Poxy if done yourself is about the same price as Race Deck tiles.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My garage floor is pitted and spalled in places and the existing paint is peeling. It would take more prep work than I am willing to do to ready it for epoxy or polishing. Hence the idea to cover it with tiles.
Thanks for the heads up about jack damage. I'll be sure to use a plywood spreader.
I'll go ahead and order tiles. Results to follow.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,189 Posts
My garage floor is pitted and spalled in places and the existing paint is peeling. It would take more prep work than I am willing to do to ready it for epoxy or polishing. Hence the idea to cover it with tiles.
Thanks for the heads up about jack damage. I'll be sure to use a plywood spreader.
I'll go ahead and order tiles. Results to follow.
As far as tiles are concerned you may want to consider looking into these:

SupraTile Interlocking Floor Tiles: Commercial & Residential Resurfacing Tiles, Interlocking Tile Flooring, Garage Floor Interlocking Tiles | Armor Poxy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts