Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
560/sel/sec/Jag XJS
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering what Members views were concerning Garage Queens VS. Daily Drivers.
Probably the best of both worlds would be one of each,however,not everyone has ca$h hanging out their ying-yang,so,what would your preference be assuming you don't already own both?

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
5,461 Posts
Hi MBZER,

I have a Volvo 740 sedan Daily Driver/Winter Wonder Car. It lives outdoors and is driven in the snow months.

My SEC is garaged and is used almost exclusively on nice days, after the road salt is gone (April or so) & before the first snowfall (early December usually). During the snow free months, if I'm taking it on a road trip and it rains.. so be it. I drove it 15,000 miles in the 2005 driving season.

All Winter it hibernates - hooked to a Battery Minder, clean and under a cover.

Cheers, MBL

·
Registered
2008 S550 designo
396 Posts
The 560 is my daily driver. I have a 98 BMW 740iL that is the garage queen. She's seen just over 3000 miles in the past 15 months whereas the 560 has been 15,000 miles. The Benz sits outside about 30% of the time and the bimmer 0% - just when she's on the road.

Trey

·
Mercedes
9,049 Posts
Since owning the car in February of 2005... I've put 3000 miles on it, most on the roundtrip drive from Ohio->Ontario->VT and back. I don't have the chance to drive it as I'm usually out of the country and only back home in the summer. So I only drive my car in the summer and the rest of the time sits parked in the Garage being a queen.

·
Registered
500 SE (1989), 304,000 km.
659 Posts
Hi MBZER,

I only have my 500 SE, which I imported last May from Germany. If I had a second car, I would garage my Benz during the winter and use my alternate "wheels" during those months. Since I don't have a garage, my W126 has to endure all seasons outdoors. I drive it weekly in the winter (trying to avoid that corrosive road grit), and when it's not in use in the winter, it sits there on my driveway under a custom-fit car cover. In the summer, I try to give it a good "run" at least three times a week.

Happy motoring,
RS

·
Registered
92' 190e sportline black/gray 5 speed manual
267 Posts
i have a grey 1986 560sel and i drive it daily. I have put 30 thousand miles on it since i got it in 2004. Great every day car, except for the gas prices :/ i may end up selling it soon.

·
Registered
1966 200 Diesel; 1985 500 SEL (wrecked); 1991 420 SEL; 1979 280E (Home Market); 1993 190E 2.6
584 Posts
My '85 500 SEL lives outside. I have a nice piece of asphalt on the right side of my garage, and thats where she stays. Inside the garage I keep the Navigator. Lately, with the price of gasoline, I have been using the Benz a lot more. It actually gets better mileage than the Lincoln. I like driving it more too. The Navi is for hauling boats and for when winter sets in up here in the north country. The Benz is for when I have to go somewhere and I want to have a smooth ride.

·
Registered
'91 420SEL '80 300TD
232 Posts
My daily driver is the 420SEL. I am looking at a 89-91 560SL for a "summer car" but haven't found one yet that I can't resist. But then, I only put 10k miles a year on total.

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,110 Posts
my 560SEL is my daily driver. i do have a garage, but it's started to rust nonetheless. curses on these cold, wet, salty boston winters!

i just gave away my 400E; i plan to buy another one (or an E420) sometime relatively soon, and i might make that my daily driver, allowing my 560SEL to take up garage queen status...

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
200 Posts
A question to the owners of the cars that 'hibernate' in winter: How do you keep the seals in your A/C system (compressor) from drying out? I thought the A/C has to run X number of minutes each month to keep the seals lubricated. Teutone (aka Horst K)

·
Always Remembered, RIP
2,074 Posts
I thought the compressor will not kick on below a certain temp? At least on older Audis, that's how it works.

Bruce

·
Registered
E500Es
29,576 Posts
My wife and I just rotate between the cars depending on what is parked where. All get driven except the 500E or 240Z on a regular basis, summer or winter, rain or shine. Once completely restored the 500E might get some garage time but I doubt it. 240 has to be trailered since an unfortunate incident involving my wife, the local police and an explanation as to why it had no pipes, full roll bars, no bumpers, no lights and she was using to to 'run to the grocery store' since it was in the driveway. Fortunately no tickets, just a trailer to pick her and the car up.

·
Registered
'90 560SEL
2,551 Posts
My aircon has not been going for a year or two - but the few days per year that it could be handy down here (over 30C), are also 'who the hell wants to drive anywhere' days. So long as the heater and seat warmers keep going is of more local relevance. Most often my climate air = window up/down and sunroof options.

·
Registered
1988 300SE
16 Posts
Train & Bus for the daily commute
Volvo 740 wagon for around town, kids taxi, grubby chores
300SE for country trips and special occasions

No garage so under shade cloth is the best I can do.

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,289 Posts
I travel a lot for work, I leave on Monday mornings and get back home on Friday nights, so I don't really drive my car all that much.

I'm against garage queens on priciple. These things were made for driving and they go to seed if they don't get regular exercise.

Some cars are so rare that they belong in museums, but that is still a crying shame they can't be driven.

·
Registered
500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
5,947 Posts
Mine has hibernated through winter, only driven on sunny days and never at night because of bugs- until this winter. When I bought my 911, I sold my sunfire which I used in the winter. I could not justify having 2 summer vehicles. The insurance on the sunfire was outrageous as well. The first time snow fell on my w126, I just looked and shook my head. I really tried to keep her washed and waxed this winter. Thank goodness winter is over. I will not have to worry about salt for a bit.
Mike

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
shrimpton said:
My aircon has not been going for a year or two - but the few days per year that it could be handy down here (over 30C), are also 'who the hell wants to drive anywhere' days. So long as the heater and seat warmers keep going is of more local relevance. Most often my climate air = window up/down and sunroof options.

Yeah, A/C is redundant cruising Cathedral Square in sleet. Pull it off, chrome it and use it as a paper weight, ...or a conversation piece!

·
Always Remembered RIP
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,613 Posts
My 420 SE is a daily driver, but sleeps in the garage.

I put about 700kms a week on it, including 6 x 100km trips a week running at 110kph.

Getting a consistant 11.5 liters per 100kms.

They love to be driven.

·
Registered
SLK..lower than yours
1,567 Posts
my 500se use to be my daily driver, actually my first car!!!...now that im in the states 75% of my time (in school)..... shes become a garage / shop queen.....

she gets driven about 1-2 times a week by my cousin over there which has the keys to it, and the wrest of the time she sits under a cover, in the garage.. every time he takes it out, (normally on weekends)..... gets here washed up, drives her all day, and back to the garage....cover on, waiting for the next weekend.

of course, all this changes when i go over there for summer / christmas...etc...

I drive it like if a stold it, never let go of it, put a many KM/s as u possibly can at the highest speed you possibly can, get it FULLY serviced .....and as soon as I leave, shes back to queen status.

it also serves my mom as a "loaner" everytime her bmw 540i is in service... but I dont really mind, the w126 belonged to her since new....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts